Copy selection to a new layer

Users mailing list
Hi!
I'm using Gimp 2.10.6 and I wonder how I'm supposed to copy a small
selection of a particular layer in a huge image to a new layer or perhaps
an existing layer. When I hit Ctrl+c, the whole layer is copied to the
clipboard, not just what's in the current selection.
I do my selection with the rectangle selection tool (shortcut R).

How is this supposed to be done?
I searched the web but I didn't find anything that actually worked.

Re: Copy selection to a new layer

Ofnuts-2
On 10/15/18 13:13, Johnny Rosenberg via gimp-user-list wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm using Gimp 2.10.6 and I wonder how I'm supposed to copy a small
> selection of a particular layer in a huge image to a new layer or perhaps
> an existing layer. When I hit Ctrl+c, the whole layer is copied to the
> clipboard, not just what's in the current selection.
> I do my selection with the rectangle selection tool (shortcut R).
>
> How is this supposed to be done?
> I searched the web but I didn't find anything that actually worked.

It is done like before... However, in 2.10, you don't have a true
selection until you have "commited" it in the tool, so you cannot just
use "drag-rectangle, Ctr-C" as you did in 2.8. You have to do
"drag-rectangle,[enter],Ctr-C" or "drag-rectangle,double-click inside
rectangle, Ctrl-C".

Den mån 15 okt. 2018 kl 16:02 skrev Ofnuts <[hidden email]>:

> On 10/15/18 13:13, Johnny Rosenberg via gimp-user-list wrote:
> > Hi!
> > I'm using Gimp 2.10.6 and I wonder how I'm supposed to copy a small
> > selection of a particular layer in a huge image to a new layer or perhaps
> > an existing layer. When I hit Ctrl+c, the whole layer is copied to the
> > clipboard, not just what's in the current selection.
> > I do my selection with the rectangle selection tool (shortcut R).
> >
> > How is this supposed to be done?
> > I searched the web but I didn't find anything that actually worked.
>
> It is done like before... However, in 2.10, you don't have a true
> selection until you have "commited" it in the tool, so you cannot just
> use "drag-rectangle, Ctr-C" as you did in 2.8. You have to do
> "drag-rectangle,[enter],Ctr-C" or "drag-rectangle,double-click inside
> rectangle, Ctrl-C".

Aah, ok. I didn't try that. Thank you.
Just for curiosity, and to whomever has the answer, why was that change
made?

Best regards

Johnny Rosenberg