Converting TIFF files for use in Processing

Converting TIFF files for use in Processing

Paul St George
Hello,

I want to use .tiff files in Processing. I can load .tiff images into a
Processing sketch if the image has been made by Processing. I cannot
load other .tiff files. Does anyone know enough about both gimp and
Processing to help? There is clearly something in the metadata that I
need to discard or change.

Thanks,
Paul

Re: Converting TIFF files for use in Processing

Users mailing list
On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 02:19:16PM +0200, Paul St George wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to use .tiff files in Processing. I can load .tiff images into a
> Processing sketch if the image has been made by Processing. I cannot load
> other .tiff files. Does anyone know enough about both gimp and Processing to
> help? There is clearly something in the metadata that I need to discard or
> change.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

'TIFF' has been described as 'Thousands of Incompatible File
Formats'.  I've seen warnings in gimp, in the past, when
opening tiffs created by a proprietary application (they were
created many years ago), but at least they opened.

An overview of the formats is at wikipedia.

Perhaps you could raise an issue at https://github.com/processing to
see if the requirements are documented anywhere ?

ĸen
--
When alle is ſayed and all is done, ye must chooſe your faces wisely,
for soon enouff ye will be playing with fyre."

Re: Converting TIFF files for use in Processing

Paul St George

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 14:19:16 +0200
> From: Paul St George<[hidden email]>
> To:[hidden email]
> Subject: [Gimp-user] Converting TIFF files for use in Processing
>
> Hello,
>
> I want to use .tiff files in Processing. I can load .tiff images into a
> Processing sketch if the image has been made by Processing. I cannot
> load other .tiff files. Does anyone know enough about both gimp and
> Processing to help? There is clearly something in the metadata that I
> need to discard or change.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 15:00:45 +0100
> From: Ken Moffat<[hidden email]>
> To:[hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Converting TIFF files for use in Processing
>
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 02:19:16PM +0200, Paul St George wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I want to use .tiff files in Processing. I can load .tiff images into a
>> Processing sketch if the image has been made by Processing. I cannot load
>> other .tiff files. Does anyone know enough about both gimp and Processing to
>> help? There is clearly something in the metadata that I need to discard or
>> change.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Paul
>>
> 'TIFF' has been described as 'Thousands of Incompatible File
> Formats'.  I've seen warnings in gimp, in the past, when
> opening tiffs created by a proprietary application (they were
> created many years ago), but at least they opened.
>
> An overview of the formats is at wikipedia.
>
> Perhaps you could raise an issue athttps://github.com/processing  to
> see if the requirements are documented anywhere ?
>
> ?en
> -- When alle is ?ayed and all is done, ye must choo?e your faces
> wisely, for soon enouff ye will be playing with fyre." The Nice and
> Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Prophecy 5004

Thanks Ken,
That was a very good suggestion. I found the relevant code at:
https://github.com/processing/processing/blob/master/core/src/processing/core/PImage.java#L3012

Now I just need to find someone who understands it! Any ideas?