Convert image to black and white

Roundball
I am trying to convert a image from color to black and white. I am trying to
convert a family from color to black and white using Gimp. I don't have much
experience with Gimp, so any help would be nice.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/481/original/McIntire.png

--
slmgf8 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Convert image to black and white

Roundball
>I am trying to convert a image from color to black and white. I am
>trying to convert a family from color to black and white using Gimp. I
>don't have much experience with Gimp, so any help would be nice.

First thing: Your image is in **color indexed** mode. Change that to RGB (an
alternative is straight to greyscale)

Gimp menu Image -> Mode -> RGB

Now you can change to a "without color" image that will allow for some
adjustment.

Gimp menu Colors -> Desaturate  gives 3 options. One of those will possibly
suffice. see attachment

It is possible to adjust even more using the 'curves tool'

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/482/original/desaturate.jpg