Compressed BMP modes, Flightsim ?

staigermanus
I have an image from Flightsim (v9?) which ends in .bmp and is much
too small for its width and height, so I know it's compressed. BMP
files's headers have a flag which can indicate one of several RLE (run
length encoded) and other compression models. Not many viewers support
it. GIMP 2 appears to recognize the fact that it's compressed, but
adds that it's an unsupported compression mode. I don't know which
mode it uses or if it's a proprietary mode.

Does anyone here have experience with images from the MS Flightsim game?

Can a developer add support for compressed BMP of flightsim images?
(huge market IMHO - everyone likes to add smoke trails, oil stains,
graffiti and bullet holes on those oh so perfectly clean and shiny wings).

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Compressed BMP modes, Flightsim ?

john-3

tihs is only a guess so ...
try imagemagick ,or try XnView

http://sourceforge.net/projects/imagemagick/

http://www.xnview.com/

--- In [hidden email], "john" <johnkvanvliet2005@y...>
wrote:

> tihs is only a guess so ...
> try imagemagick ,or try XnView
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/imagemagick/
>
> http://www.xnview.com/

Haven't checked xnview yet. ImageMagick doesn't handle it (they do
perhaps rle4 and rle8 cases like Paul's Pictire viewer does, and we
use ImageMagick in Project Dogwaffle. Irfanview doesn't do it yet
either. It seems like Flightsim uses different comp[ressions. I have a
list and will try xnview
Thanks