Colour Profiles, RGB and convert to PNG

Richard Brown-2
Hi All

I am trying to convert a jpg to png. I want to remove the background
colour. My usual method of doing this to Colour to Alpha but the
selection is greyed out. When I open the jpg it asks me whether I want
to convert to RGB working space. It has a colour profile embedded in. Is
it possible to remove this or convert the image to png in a different
way please? Thanks

--
Kind Regards
This message was brought to you by the numbers 0 and 1.

Re: Colour Profiles, RGB and convert to PNG

Users mailing list
On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 2:13 PM Richard Brown wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I am trying to convert a jpg to png. I want to remove the background
> colour. My usual method of doing this to Colour to Alpha but the
> selection is greyed out.

It means there is no alpha channel in the image (it's a JPEG, after all).

Depending on your typical workflow, you can go for one of the two options:

1. Right-click on the layer in the Layers dock, choose 'Add Alpha Channel'.

2. Go to Edit > Preferences > Image Import & Export, enable the 'Add an
alpha channel to imported images' checkbox. Then all newly opened
JPEG/TIFF/etc. files will have an alpha channel added.

When I open the jpg it asks me whether I want
> to convert to RGB working space. It has a colour profile embedded in. Is
> it possible to remove this or convert the image to png in a different
> way please? Thanks

Remove what "this"? Different how?

Re: Colour Profiles, RGB and convert to PNG

Richard Brown-2
Hi All

Thanks for all the help. That cracked it.

Rich

---