Clueless here??? Help to reply to my thread

Clueless here??? Help to reply to my thread

Nate Owens
I have no idea (tried a bunch that did not work) how to reply to a thread I
started.

The thread is
2nd HELP install fail 2.8.20 mail edited (shorter)

Have had a reply, and would like to respond

*Nate Owens*
www.nateowens.com

Re: Clueless here??? Help to reply to my thread

Mark Morin-2
do you have a "reply to list" option? I'm not sure what you are using
for an email client but try right clicking on the menu bar, selecting
"customize" and putting the reply to list option there. This usually
works for windows based clients.

On 3/16/2017 10:23 PM, Nate Owens wrote:

> I have no idea (tried a bunch that did not work) how to reply to a thread I
> started.
>
> The thread is
> 2nd HELP install fail 2.8.20 mail edited (shorter)
>
> Have had a reply, and would like to respond
>
> *Nate Owens*
> www.nateowens.com

Re: Clueless here??? Help to reply to my thread

Nate Owens
I will try "EM Client"
was using gmail (basic web-mail)

Thanks... I know that I have duplicates on the list, hopefully I can be
forgiven of ignoramus-messiness

---

Re: Clueless here??? Help to reply to my thread

Rick Strong-2
Try "Reply All". That should reply to the individual who sent you a response
AND will probably get your reply on the GIMP list.

Rick S.

Re: Clueless here??? Help to reply to my thread

Patrick Shanahan
* Rick Strong <[hidden email]> [03-17-17 01:37]:

> Try "Reply All". That should reply to the individual who sent you a response
> AND will probably get your reply on the GIMP list.
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Nate Owens
> Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2017 10:23 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Gimp-user] Clueless here??? Help to reply to my thread
>
> I have no idea (tried a bunch that did not work) how to reply to a thread I
> started.
>
> The thread is
> 2nd HELP install fail 2.8.20 mail edited (shorter)
>
> Have had a reply, and would like to respond

PLEASE, don't encourage bad habits.  *Only* post "to the list" unless
specifically requested otherwise.

And, reply as one would read, not *only* at the top before questions are
asked or points offered.  And, remove quoting not necessary to provide and
support your context, especially sigs and trailers.

If you are going to advise, please encourage *good* habits.

You should have advised him to reply copying the list address, and *only*
the list address,into the "To:" field or the gooie box where the
recipient's mailing address is requested.

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2      Registered Linux User #207535
Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo                 @ http://linuxcounter.net

Re: Clueless here??? Help to reply to my thread

Rick Kline
I just tried a “Reply to all” and it put the sender in the To: field and the group in the Cc: field. Just deleted the OP (Original Poster) from the To: field and moved the group there from the Cc: field. Using Apple Mail.

As for my own communication style, technique, whatever you’d like to call it, I use quotes to group words such as “Reply to all”, which is a quote, anyway. To: and Cc: I feel can stand alone.

Read beyond punctuation when trying to help someone. Regardless of quotes, the answer is, or should be, there.

And if you’re going to take some to task for style, learn that Graphical User Interface is abbreviated “GUI” (that’s a quote), not “gooie”.

That’s my $0.02.
Rick

 * * ** *** ***** ******** ************* *********************
It’s better to wave at a stranger than to ignore a friend
 * * ** *** ***** ******** ************* *********************

> On Mar 17, 2017, at 7:27 AM, Patrick Shanahan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> * Rick Strong <[hidden email]> [03-17-17 01:37]:
>> Try "Reply All". That should reply to the individual who sent you a response
>> AND will probably get your reply on the GIMP list.
>>
>> -----Original Message----- From: Nate Owens
>> Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2017 10:23 PM
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: [Gimp-user] Clueless here??? Help to reply to my thread
>>
>> I have no idea (tried a bunch that did not work) how to reply to a thread I
>> started.
>>
>> The thread is
>> 2nd HELP install fail 2.8.20 mail edited (shorter)
>>
>> Have had a reply, and would like to respond
>
> PLEASE, don't encourage bad habits.  *Only* post "to the list" unless
> specifically requested otherwise.
>
> And, reply as one would read, not *only* at the top before questions are
> asked or points offered.  And, remove quoting not necessary to provide and
> support your context, especially sigs and trailers.
>
> If you are going to advise, please encourage *good* habits.
>
> You should have advised him to reply copying the list address, and *only*
> the list address,into the "To:" field or the gooie box where the
> recipient's mailing address is requested.
>

> --
> (paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA          @ptilopteri
> http://en.opensuse.org    openSUSE Community Member    facebook/ptilopteri
> Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2      Registered Linux User #207535
> Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo                 @ http://linuxcounter.net

Re: Clueless here??? Help to reply to my thread

Patrick Shanahan
* Rick Kline <[hidden email]> [03-17-17 07:58]:
 [...]
> And if you’re going to take some to task for style, learn that Graphical
> User Interface is abbreviated “GUI” (that’s a quote), not “gooie”.
>
> That’s my $0.02.

and worth even less, ie: you are overcharging.

but I just noticed your are both of the ?new breed?, you have a ms address
and the OP uses windows live mail, you top post answering questions before
they are asked and quote everything including sigs and trailers, ie:
worthless information.

"gooie" is a dersive reference to gui and *was* properly used.

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2      Registered Linux User #207535
Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo                 @ http://linuxcounter.net

Re: Clueless here??? Help to reply to my thread

Rick Kline
The ms address is a holdover from Nameplanet. Don’t know what your point is, but did you actually answer the OP’s question? And yes, I choose, in Preferences, to put quoted text after the reply, so that one needn’t scroll all the way to the bottom to see the latest reply.

I’ve worked for a NASA-funded facility for nearly 30 years, have communicated with countless NASA officials and planetary scientists worldwide and nobody has ever complained that the most recent response is at the top of the message. In fact, that’s how the majority of the adults I’ve dealt with choose to communicate.

Apologies to the group for the highjacking of this thread. It’s beginning to take on the aspect of Youtube and Facebook comments. I’m done. Carry on.

Rick

 * * ** *** ***** ******** ************* *********************
It’s better to wave at a stranger than to ignore a friend
 * * ** *** ***** ******** ************* *********************

> On Mar 17, 2017, at 8:09 AM, Patrick Shanahan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> * Rick Kline <[hidden email]> [03-17-17 07:58]:
> [...]
>> And if you’re going to take some to task for style, learn that Graphical
>> User Interface is abbreviated “GUI” (that’s a quote), not “gooie”.
>>
>> That’s my $0.02.
>
> and worth even less, ie: you are overcharging.
>
> but I just noticed your are both of the ?new breed?, you have a ms address
> and the OP uses windows live mail, you top post answering questions before
> they are asked and quote everything including sigs and trailers, ie:
> worthless information.
>
> "gooie" is a dersive reference to gui and *was* properly used.
>
> --
> (paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA          @ptilopteri
> http://en.opensuse.org    openSUSE Community Member    facebook/ptilopteri
> Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2      Registered Linux User #207535
> Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo                 @ http://linuxcounter.net

Please unsubscribe me from this list - no method to do it myself

Dora Smith-2
Listowner:

Please unsubscribe me from this list.

No simple email method provided at bottom of posts to do that.  I get sent
to a form that I have to use a password to use it, and no means to reset the
password.

Nor is any email address provided to contact the list owner.

All of this is completely against commonly accepted Internet standards.

I'm really not going to jump through hoops about it either.

Please just unsubscribe me.

Yours,
Dora Smith

Re: Please unsubscribe me from this list - no method to do it myself

Ofnuts-2
See the List membership:
bottom. On that page, you 'll find at the bottom a section "/To
unsubscribe from gimp-user-list, get a password reminder, or change your
subscription options/".