Quantcast

Cleaning up a Blueprint

Karl22
Hello all,
I'm new to photo editing, especially gimp so I was hoping to get some help
with this. My new job would require me to scrub images like this down on a
somewhat regular basis (down to bare floor plan), what would be the best way to
go about it? Basically I just need to delete all of the black, but when I try to
the edges stay gray (Inherent to BMP's I'd guess). Also when I select just the
black, after I delete it the selectors stay visible. Any help would be
appreciated and I apologize for my ignorance. Thanks. PS, if there Isn't enough
resolution in the picture I could host one else where.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/505/original/floorplan.jpg

--
fender6strat (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Cleaning up a Blueprint

Rick Strong-2
This is not meant to be nasty but since this appears to be a layered image,
I would ask the architect, or the college, for the original floor plan sans
mechanical ductwork. The maintenance dept. of the college no doubt has such
a plan or an "as-built" if there have been modifications. You, or someone,
could then have that scanned and digitized.

Rick S.

On 12/03/17 03:42, fender6strat wrote:

> Hello all,
> I'm new to photo editing, especially gimp so I was hoping to get some help
> with this. My new job would require me to scrub images like this down on a
> somewhat regular basis (down to bare floor plan), what would be the best way to
> go about it? Basically I just need to delete all of the black, but when I try to
> the edges stay gray (Inherent to BMP's I'd guess). Also when I select just the
> black, after I delete it the selectors stay visible. Any help would be
> appreciated and I apologize for my ignorance. Thanks. PS, if there Isn't enough
> resolution in the picture I could host one else where.
>
> Attachments:
> * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/505/original/floorplan.jpg

You can change all the black to white by just applying the right curves:

http://imgur.com/aYXdEdE

(the peak around 138 is the gray lines in your plan). Of course you get
white gaps in the gray lines....

You can also change the grey to something darker in the same operation,
by using a different curve:

http://imgur.com/92N73QW

Re: Cleaning up a Blueprint

Daniel Smith-13
This is just my two cents but I used to work in graphics for ten years now
I do construction hopefully not too much longer 😗
But this seems to be a continual issue, the art haha of the office computer
ops vs reality of jobsite people getting and or using and or contributing
to prints etc.
My immediate reaction is why don't they furnish you with same program this
print was made in so you can perhaps delete in sections or categories if u
get my gist. But that might make your job quicker if not unnecessary. But
also it would give the ability to offer other options or versions of the
plan later if it was saved at diff stages, which will likely be requested.
The life of construction is based I have found around mistakes changes and
rework, some vast in scope. Good luck in your job,
Dan

On Mar 12, 2017 7:41 PM, "Ofnuts" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/03/17 03:42, fender6strat wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>> I'm new to photo editing, especially gimp so I was hoping to get some help
>> with this. My new job would require me to scrub images like this down on a
>> somewhat regular basis (down to bare floor plan), what would be the best
>> way to
>> go about it? Basically I just need to delete all of the black, but when I
>> try to
>> the edges stay gray (Inherent to BMP's I'd guess). Also when I select
>> just the
>> black, after I delete it the selectors stay visible. Any help would be
>> appreciated and I apologize for my ignorance. Thanks. PS, if there Isn't
>> enough
>> resolution in the picture I could host one else where.
>>
>> Attachments:
>> * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/505/original/floorplan.jpg
>>
>> You can change all the black to white by just applying the right curves:
>
> http://imgur.com/aYXdEdE
>
> (the peak around 138 is the gray lines in your plan). Of course you get
> white gaps in the gray lines....
>
> You can also change the grey to something darker in the same operation, by
> using a different curve:
>
> http://imgur.com/92N73QW

Cleaning up a Blueprint

Karl22
>This is not meant to be nasty but since this appears to be a layered
>image,
>I would ask the architect, or the college, for the original floor plan
>sans
>mechanical ductwork. The maintenance dept. of the college no doubt has
>such
>a plan or an "as-built" if there have been modifications. You, or
>someone,
>could then have that scanned and digitized.
>
>Rick S.

That was the first thing I said when this was given to me, however I'm guessing
that this wont always be the case. The .pdf I was given of the M drawings was
not layered, had it been I wouldn't be in this mess. Thanks for your reply.

--
fender6strat (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Cleaning up a Blueprint

Karl22
>You can change all the black to white by just applying the right
>curves:
>
>http://imgur.com/aYXdEdE
>
>(the peak around 138 is the gray lines in your plan). Of course you
>get
>white gaps in the gray lines....
>
>You can also change the grey to something darker in the same
>operation,
>by using a different curve:
>
>http://imgur.com/92N73QW
Thanks for the input, I imagine this will take some practice on my part. Do you
think I'd be better off using a vector based program?

--
fender6strat (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Cleaning up a Blueprint

Ofnuts-2
On 14/03/17 15:36, fender6strat wrote:

> Thanks for the input, I imagine this will take some practice on my part. Do you
> think I'd be better off using a vector based program?

If that opens the image as vectors (and not as a background bitmap), yes.