[Citrix] GIMP doesn't see user's local drives

[Citrix] GIMP doesn't see user's local drives

Lindemann, Joshua
Since Adobe has removed the possibility of installing Photoshop on a XenApp server, I'm turning to GIMP as a replacement.  And with everyone having to work remotely due to COVID trying to do our best to accommodate everyone.

I know this may be a odd question for many of you to read.  But we use GIMP in a Citrix virtualized environment (for education).  This way, no matter the device, a user can use the applications we present to them.  Sort of like mobile lab access where ever you are.

BACKGROUND - the way this works is that we have a series of Windows2012r2 servers with applications installed on them.  Using Citrix, users are able to launch these programs through a Citrix app on their local device and it appears to run on their local device.  (windows, Mac, linux, ipad, android).  You can share the clipboard between the devices. It's really a better kind of RDP session.
Through the Citrix policies I give access to the users to access things like local hard drive or local USB if used.  In applications you can open/save a file and select the 'My PC' category (because it's running on Windows-based device) and see options that Citrix provides "Local Disk C: on yourlaptopname" to indicate your local device.

I didn't realize when I installed it, is that when you attempt to open/save you don't get your typical 'file manager' to allow you to select "MY PC"
It does see the mapped network drives and the folders within their user profile.  But while that's ok, it's important to be able to access the user's local device (harddrive or USB) when they are in this virtual environment. So I need to see the top level "My PC"

Is anyone out there using GIMP in Citrix XenApp?  Have you found a way to add the user's local devices?
What this means is that I need to be able to give the user access to the "My PC" option you typically see on a Windows computer's File Manager.

Is there a way, maybe through Registry, to add this as a folder option for all users?
Someone in a forum mentioned it may not be GIMP, but the GTK+ that does this.  But that doesn't mean anything to me.

Thanks
Josh

Re: GIMP doesn't see user's local drives

Jernej Simončič-3
On Friday, May 8, 2020, 18:41:39, Lindemann, Joshua wrote:

> Someone in a forum mentioned it may not be GIMP, but the GTK+ that
> does this.  But that doesn't mean anything to me.

GTK+ is the user interface toolkit that GIMP uses, and it's what
provides the file open/save dialog boxes. Unfortunately, GTK+ 2 (which
GIMP 2.10 uses) is now out of support, so it's unlikely that this
problem will be fixed.

The only way to make the GTK+ file dialogs to show user's local drives
would be to map them as network drives (so they get their own drive
letter); this probably isn't very feasible.

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< https://eternallybored.org/ >

You can observe a lot just by watching.
       -- Berra's Law

Re: [Citrix] GIMP doesn't see user's local drives

Rick Strong-2
Can the user not configure the "Place" for the opening or saving of files in
the Open or Save dialogues by using the "Search" box under "Places" and then
make a folder that would show up in the "Folders" section of "Recently
Used"?

I.e. search for the folder to use for opening or saving and then link to it
using the GIMP dialogue.

That should allow GIMP to remain on your server while the student's
Open/Save folder is local. You may have to walk them through this initially.

Rick S.