Citation

Users mailing list
I'm hoping I'm going this right as I'm not used to this mean of server
communication. How did I cite my use of gimp in a formal scientific journal?
Thanks

Re: Citation

Dave Stevens
On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 18:25:43 -0500
Julian Correa via gimp-user-list <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm hoping I'm going this right as I'm not used to this mean of server
> communication. How did I cite my use of gimp in a formal scientific
> journal? Thanks

gimp isn't a source and you aren't quoting. Maybe give the version
number? I don't really think it's an issue.

Re: Citation

Ross Martinek-3
Yes, you should identify the software you used. Just select “About GIMP" from the GIMP Menu and copy the information in the window that opens, and give the main web site address.

Just out of curiosity, what journal is it?

Ross

> On Jan 11, 2021, at 5:36 PM, Dave Stevens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 18:25:43 -0500
> Julian Correa via gimp-user-list <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I'm hoping I'm going this right as I'm not used to this mean of server
>> communication. How did I cite my use of gimp in a formal scientific
>> journal? Thanks
>
> gimp isn't a source and you aren't quoting. Maybe give the version
> number? I don't really think it's an issue.

Re: Citation

Kevin Cozens-2
On 2021-01-11 6:25 p.m., Julian Correa via gimp-user-list wrote:
> I'm hoping I'm going this right as I'm not used to this mean of server
> communication. How did I cite my use of gimp in a formal scientific journal?

There aren't any particular rules about it. I would start by referring to
the program as GIMP and not gimp, then the version number of the program you
were using. Saying "v2.10" or "version 2.10" should suffice. It would also
be nice if you included a link back to the official web site.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/               | "Nerds make the shiny things that
https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
                                     | that's why we're powerful"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          |
#include <disclaimer/favourite>     |             --Chris Hardwick

Re: Citation

You might also want to refer to it by its full name: "GNU Image
Manipulation Program".

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 8:02 AM Ross Martinek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, you should identify the software you used. Just select “About GIMP"
> from the GIMP Menu and copy the information in the window that opens, and
> give the main web site address.
>
> Just out of curiosity, what journal is it?
>
> Ross
>

> > On Jan 11, 2021, at 5:36 PM, Dave Stevens <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 18:25:43 -0500
> > Julian Correa via gimp-user-list <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm hoping I'm going this right as I'm not used to this mean of server
> >> communication. How did I cite my use of gimp in a formal scientific
> >> journal? Thanks
> >
> > gimp isn't a source and you aren't quoting. Maybe give the version
> > number? I don't really think it's an issue.

https://patdavid.net
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC