Changing faces

jayohallen
Hi
I am fairly new to The Gimp. I am trying to change a face in a
photograph. Could someone tell me where to find instructions on how to
merge 2 photographs and cut out the face of the top layer so that the
face on the bottom layer shows in its place. And is it possible to
move one or the other around so the faces line up. Also the best
proceedure to make both faces the same size.

Thanks In Advance

Jim Allen

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Changing faces

Andreas Waechter
--- In [hidden email], "jayohallen" <jayohallen@g...>
wrote:
> Hi
> I am fairly new to The Gimp. I am trying to change a face in a
> photograph. Could someone tell me where to find instructions on how to
> merge 2 photographs and cut out the face of the top layer so that the
> face on the bottom layer shows in its place. And is it possible to
> move one or the other around so the faces line up. Also the best
> proceedure to make both faces the same size.

Put both photographs in one image (as two layers),
make the one from which you only need the face the top layer
Clear everything from it but the face (using the various selection
tools and Ctrl-K)

Use "move layer" to put the face in the right place
Use "rotate" tool to rotate it as necessary
Use "scale layer" to get the face in the right size.
Repeat these steps until you are happy with the result.

To improve the blending it might help to feather the face layer.
Or to use the color tools on the face layer to adjust face colours.

It might help if you temporarily make the face layer a bit transparent
(using the slider in the layer dialog) so you can see the background
image.

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Changing faces

Roel Schroeven-2
andreaswaechter wrote:

> --- In [hidden email], "jayohallen" <jayohallen@g...>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>I am fairly new to The Gimp. I am trying to change a face in a
>>photograph. Could someone tell me where to find instructions on how to
>>merge 2 photographs and cut out the face of the top layer so that the
>>face on the bottom layer shows in its place. And is it possible to
>>move one or the other around so the faces line up. Also the best
>>proceedure to make both faces the same size.
>

> Put both photographs in one image (as two layers),
> make the one from which you only need the face the top layer
> Clear everything from it but the face (using the various selection
> tools and Ctrl-K)
>
> Use "move layer" to put the face in the right place
> Use "rotate" tool to rotate it as necessary
> Use "scale layer" to get the face in the right size.
> Repeat these steps until you are happy with the result.
>
> To improve the blending it might help to feather the face layer.
> Or to use the color tools on the face layer to adjust face colours.
>
> It might help if you temporarily make the face layer a bit transparent
> (using the slider in the layer dialog) so you can see the background
> image.

I would suggest using a mask (quickmask, or alpha mask) for the fine
work at the end. Have a look at those pages for inspiration:
http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/index.html?node47.html
http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/index.html?node69.html
http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/node68.html
http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/index.html?node67.html

Sinecerly,

Olivier

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Changing faces

jayohallen

Hi
Thanks Oliver. I haven't had time to try your advice out but it looks
like the kind of instructions I was looking for.
Thanks Again

Jim

--- In [hidden email], Olivier Ripoll