Changing color scheme across all layers in a gif

Changing color scheme across all layers in a gif

Roundball
I have a gif that is a cool (blue) color scheme and I need the same exact gif
but warm (red) colors.

Is there a way to convert the color scheme across all layers from cool to warm?

I have included the gif in question and an image that reflects the color scheme
I am hoping to convert it to.

-Thanks

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/449/original/arrow_l_l_off.gif
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/450/original/arrow_l_l_off-Hot.png

--
trevard (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Changing color scheme across all layers in a gif

Ofnuts-2
Two ways:

Simple:

Image>Mode RGB
Colors>Rotate colors

Hardcore:

Windows>Dockable dialogs>Color map
Edit the color values in the color map

On 02/02/17 00:39, trevard wrote:

> I have a gif that is a cool (blue) color scheme and I need the same exact gif
> but warm (red) colors.
>
> Is there a way to convert the color scheme across all layers from cool to warm?
>
> I have included the gif in question and an image that reflects the color scheme
> I am hoping to convert it to.
>
> -Thanks
>
> Attachments:
> * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/449/original/arrow_l_l_off.gif
> * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/450/original/arrow_l_l_off-Hot.png

Changing color scheme across all layers in a gif

Roundball
I appreciate the reply but I'm not even getting close with either of those
methods.

-Thanks

On 02/02/17 16:05, trevard wrote:
> I appreciate the reply but I'm not even getting close with either of those
> methods.
>
> -Thanks

Hmmm. Several layers... then only the colormap method would work. Now,
"cold" and "warm" have no meaning in Gimp. What has a meaning is "this
R,G,B triplet becomes this R,G,B one".

If you post a frame of your GIF, we could better understand what you
want to do.

Changing color scheme across all layers in a gif

Roundball
>Hmmm. Several layers... then only the colormap method would work. Now,
>"cold" and "warm" have no meaning in Gimp. What has a meaning is "this
>R,G,B triplet becomes this R,G,B one".
>
>If you post a frame of your GIF, we could better understand what you
>want to do.

Sure thing I obviously have near no experience with GIMP and I truly do
appreciate your efforts to help me.  I'm not sure what exactly you mean  by
"frame" but I included a screen shot and the GIF itself hope that helps.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/451/original/arrow.PNG
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/452/original/arrow_r_r_on.gif

--
trevard (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Changing color scheme across all layers in a gif

Roundball
>Sure thing I obviously have near no experience with GIMP and I truly
>do appreciate your efforts to help me.  I'm not sure what exactly you
>mean  by "frame" but I included a screen shot and the GIF itself hope
>that helps.

A frame is a layer, it even shows that in your screenshot.

The color-map is too complicated to easily edit so change the gif color mode to
RGB Image -> Mode -> RGB

The gif is optimized so un optimize it Filters -> Animation -> Unoptimize

One way (there will be others) is make a color mask of the arrow (incl border
pixels) in red.

That is then merged as an overlay with layer mode = color and reduced opacity
(75%) for each of the 21 layers in turn.

Very tedious but there are plugins to help. Ofnuts has one 'interleave-layers'
see:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-tools/files/scripts/

about 30 entries down

In practice looks like the attached screenshot

then the result has to be re-optimized and exported as an animated gif.

To be honest, not that easy for a beginner.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/453/original/overlay.jpg
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/454/original/recoloured-opt.gif

On 02/02/17 19:39, trevard wrote:

>> Hmmm. Several layers... then only the colormap method would work. Now,
>> "cold" and "warm" have no meaning in Gimp. What has a meaning is "this
>> R,G,B triplet becomes this R,G,B one".
>>
>> If you post a frame of your GIF, we could better understand what you
>> want to do.
> Sure thing I obviously have near no experience with GIMP and I truly do
> appreciate your efforts to help me.  I'm not sure what exactly you mean  by
> "frame" but I included a screen shot and the GIF itself hope that helps.
>
> Attachments:
> * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/451/original/arrow.PNG
> * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/452/original/arrow_r_r_on.gif

A layer in the GImp image becomes a "frame" in the GIF animation.

So, there could be a fast an easy solution:

- Get the interleave-layers script  from here:
http://gimp-tools.sourceforge.net/animationtools.shtml

- Add a layer to your image, fill it with required hue, then make it
invisible

- Using Interleave-layers in "title" mode, interleave/merge it using the
"Hue" blend mode

For more control:

- Instead of filling the whole layer, fill just the shape of the arrow,
leave the rest transparent

- Using Interleave-layers in "title" mode, interleave/merge it using the
"Color" blend mode

The script just uses the standard blend mode, so before calling the
script you can make a test by changing the blend mode of the added
layer, and adjusting the color for the required results.