Quantcast

Changing brush size does not work

Kalanco
I can't change brush size in GIMP. I've been working on this simple task all
morning.
I've downloaded and installed the most recent stable version of GIMP (2.8.22).
I've created a new brush so that I can edit it.
Changing the radius of the brush does nothing (see attached image).
I'm about to throw my computer out the window.
Please, help, help, help!

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/572/original/brush_size.jpg

--
t2o5ive (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Changing brush size does not work

Kalanco
>I can't change brush size in GIMP. I've been working on this simple
>task all morning.
>I've downloaded and installed the most recent stable version of GIMP
>(2.8.22).
>I've created a new brush so that I can edit it.
>Changing the radius of the brush does nothing (see attached image).
>I'm about to throw my computer out the window.
>Please, help, help, help!

That is not the way it works.

The brush designer does what it says, designs a parametric (.vbr) brush, which
is a bit like a vector, the brush is a text file description of properties.

Each brush has a 'natural' size, which you can reset in Gimp 2.8.22 using the
little yellow arrow in the Brush tool options. see: small-brush

Exactly the same brush can use the size slider to resize to the new size ( 2x
the radius) so for a 725 radius use 1450. see: large-brush

You could save both of your brushes radius = 55 and radius = 725 as separate
.vbr files and use the little yellow arrow to set the size, but it is a bit
pointless when one will do.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/573/original/small-brush.jpg
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/574/original/large-brush.jpg

Re: Changing brush size does not work

Steve Kinney

On 05/12/2017 12:10 PM, rich2005 wrote:

>> I can't change brush size in GIMP. I've been working on this simple
>> task all morning.
>> I've downloaded and installed the most recent stable version of GIMP
>> (2.8.22).
>> I've created a new brush so that I can edit it.
>> Changing the radius of the brush does nothing (see attached image).
>> I'm about to throw my computer out the window.
>> Please, help, help, help!
>
> That is not the way it works.
>
> The brush designer does what it says, designs a parametric (.vbr) brush, which
> is a bit like a vector, the brush is a text file description of properties.
>
> Each brush has a 'natural' size, which you can reset in Gimp 2.8.22 using the
> little yellow arrow in the Brush tool options. see: small-brush
>
> Exactly the same brush can use the size slider to resize to the new size ( 2x
> the radius) so for a 725 radius use 1450. see: large-brush
>
> You could save both of your brushes radius = 55 and radius = 725 as separate
> .vbr files and use the little yellow arrow to set the size, but it is a bit
> pointless when one will do.
>
> rich: www.gimp-forum.net

I don't know if there is some configuration problem involved, but if not
this may be of use:  You can set up the GIMP so that holding the ALT key
down and scrolling your mouse wheel will make brushes larger or smaller
on demand. Go to Edit > Preferences > Input Controllers and double click
on Main Mouse Wheel to bring up the configuration dialog. Picture worth
thousand words:

http://pilobilus.net/img/mouse-scale-brush.jpg

I think this setting should be a "default" - but meanwhile, you can set
it up yourself. I also configure the GIMP to make the current brush
"softer" or "harder" - that is, more or less fuzzy around the edge - in
response to holding down Ctrl + Shift + Alt and scrolling the mouse
wheel up and down. (This only works with VBR brushes.)  Controlling
brush size and hardness with the mouse wheel is way more efficient than
constantly switching between brushes or leaving the canvas to drag slide
controls around.

:o)

Re: Changing brush size does not work

Michael Schumacher
On May 12, 2017 3:45:09 PM GMT+02:00, t2o5ive <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Changing the radius of the brush does nothing (see attached image).

>http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/572/original/brush_size.jpg

Change the size in the paint tool options.