Quantcast

Change the UI size?

I have just dowloaded Gimp 2.8.16 and installed it on my Windows 10 - 64 bit PC.
However, the user interface with all the icons and texts are too small for me
and it is very hard to read what is on the screen. My monitor size is 3440 X
1440. Of course I can change the size of everything on the screen by using the
Display settings in Windows 10 and set the slider to, say, 150%. But then ALL
applications and windows on the screen get bigger, even if I do not want them
to.

Is there a way to customize the size of textlabels, toobars, icons etc in the
user interface of GIMP?

Thanks!

--
DAWO (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Change the UI size?

Kevin Payne
There are future plans to allow users to allow easier control over the icon sizes etc, but at the moment it can be done using add-on themes.

You will find links to some themes that I have made that use bigger icons (either 32x32 or 48x48) that others have found useful here:
http://gimpforums.com/thread-large-size-icons-themes

Kevin

Change the UI size?

rich2005
>There are future plans to allow users to allow easier control over the
>icon sizes etc, but at the moment it can be done using add-on themes.
>
>You will find links to some themes that I have made that use bigger
>icons (either 32x32 or 48x48) that others have found useful here:
>http://gimpforums.com/thread-large-size-icons-themes
>
>Kevin

Thank you very much, Kevin!

It might be a good idea, for users like me, to explain how to go about
installing the theme. As I did not realize that these were zipped files, I
started off by just putting the downloaded color theme and symbolic theme files
in what I thought would be the right folder, but, understandably nothing
happened. I then did a search on the file suffix in order to find out that they
were 7zip-files. I have now downloaded and instlled 7zip, and unzipped the files
and I now have a folder named "Color-48" with several subfolders and files in
it, but I am uncertain what to do? Should I place the WHOLE folder as it is in
the Themes folder? Or just some of the files? And on my Windows 10 PC, I found
one Gimp Themes folder in "C-> User-> Dag -> .gim-2.9-> themes" would that be
the correct folder?

Regards,

Dag

--
DAWO (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Change the UI size?

Sven Claussner

On  25.3.2016 at 10:57 AM Dawo wrote:
> Is there a way to customize the size of textlabels, toobars, icons etc in the
> user interface of GIMP?

The preview sizes in resource dialogs like Patterns, Brushes etc. can be
changed in their respective dockable dialogs.

Greetings

Sven

Re: Change the UI size?

Kevin Payne
Dag,

  Sorry I haven't explained in more detail what to do with the .7z files.

  Yes, you need to put the Color-48 folder (containing all the subfolders) into your personal GIMP profile Themes folder (C:\Users\Dag\.gimp-2.8\Themes).

  BUT - you're using a GIMP 2.9.? version? If you have the option in your Edit>>Preferences>>Icon Theme, then the theme you have downloaded is not going to work.

  With 2.9.3.???, Icon Themes now control which icons you get BUT the theme controls which size icons, and as far as I know, no-one has made a suitable pair that specify and supply larger size icons. Quite frankly, it's a mess at the moment.

Kevin

>There are future plans to allow users to allow easier control over the
>icon sizes etc, but at the moment it can be done using add-on themes.
>
>You will find links to some themes that I have made that use bigger
>icons (either 32x32 or 48x48) that others have found useful here:
>http://gimpforums.com/thread-large-size-icons-themes
>
>Kevin

Thank you very much, Kevin!

It might be a good idea, for users like me, to explain how to go about
installing the theme. As I did not realize that these were zipped files, I
started off by just putting the downloaded color theme and symbolic theme files
in what I thought would be the right folder, but, understandably nothing
happened. I then did a search on the file suffix in order to find out that they
were 7zip-files. I have now downloaded and instlled 7zip, and unzipped the files
and I now have a folder named "Color-48" with several subfolders and files in
it, but I am uncertain what to do? Should I place the WHOLE folder as it is in
the Themes folder? Or just some of the files? And on my Windows 10 PC, I found
one Gimp Themes folder in "C-> User-> Dag -> .gim-2.9-> themes" would that be
the correct folder?

Regards,

Dag

--
DAWO (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Change the UI size?

rich2005

>BUT - you're using a GIMP 2.9.? version? If you have the option in
>your Edit>>Preferences>>Icon Theme, then the theme you have downloaded
>is not going to work.

Thanks again, Kevin!

The version I downloaded and installed, is 2.8.16, so I will go ahead and try
your icons. It seems that this is a problem for others as well which a quick
search with Google verified. And I think it should be one of the most
prioritized issues for the Gimp developer community as it “accessibility”
defines who can use the software, and who cannot.2

--
DAWO (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Change the UI size?

Jehan Pagès
Hi,

On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 9:49 AM, DAWO <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>BUT - you're using a GIMP 2.9.? version? If you have the option in
>>your Edit>>Preferences>>Icon Theme, then the theme you have downloaded
>>is not going to work.
>
> Thanks again, Kevin!
>
> The version I downloaded and installed, is 2.8.16, so I will go ahead and try
> your icons. It seems that this is a problem for others as well which a quick
> search with Google verified. And I think it should be one of the most
> prioritized issues for the Gimp developer community as it “accessibility”
> defines who can use the software, and who cannot.2

I agree, since I am working on the icon size customization (the
"future plans" Kevin told about earlier). Though I must say it's not
easy to prioritize and see what others are going through because I
don't have access to any HiDPI screen, not even to test, even less for
my own daily use.

I have also a question, about when you say that text is also too
small. From what I understood, GIMP should simply follow whatever text
size settings your operating system is configured with. Are you saying
that font size is bigger everywhere else but not in GIMP? I think this
should not happen (but once again, I can hardly test myself without
such a screen).
Thanks.

Jehan

> --
> DAWO (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

ZeMarmot open animation film
http://film.zemarmot.net
Patreon: https://patreon.com/zemarmot

Re: Change the UI size?

Kevin Payne
Jehan: re font-size

  The font size can be controlled by the theme, but to judge from this post, there may be some operating system/window manager effects as well:
http://gimpforums.com/thread-new-default-double-theme-for-uhd-4k-sp4?pid=47087#pid47087

  Maybe it's seeing "14 point" and deciding that as it's a high dpi screen, it needs to be drawn bigger. I also don't have a high dpi monitor so this is all speculation.

Kevin

On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 9:49 AM, DAWO <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>BUT - you're using a GIMP 2.9.? version? If you have the option in
>>your Edit>>Preferences>>Icon Theme, then the theme you have downloaded
>>is not going to work.
>
> Thanks again, Kevin!
>
> The version I downloaded and installed, is 2.8.16, so I will go ahead and try
> your icons. It seems that this is a problem for others as well which a quick
> search with Google verified. And I think it should be one of the most
> prioritized issues for the Gimp developer community as it “accessibility”
> defines who can use the software, and who cannot.2

I agree, since I am working on the icon size customization (the
"future plans" Kevin told about earlier). Though I must say it's not
easy to prioritize and see what others are going through because I
don't have access to any HiDPI screen, not even to test, even less for
my own daily use.

I have also a question, about when you say that text is also too
small. From what I understood, GIMP should simply follow whatever text
size settings your operating system is configured with. Are you saying
that font size is bigger everywhere else but not in GIMP? I think this
should not happen (but once again, I can hardly test myself without
such a screen).
Thanks.

Jehan

> --
> DAWO (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

ZeMarmot open animation film
http://film.zemarmot.net
Patreon: https://patreon.com/zemarmot

Change the UI size?

sorry to revive this "old" thread. I stumbled across it while searching for a
solution
to this problem, too.

I am using / testing this workaround for now:
https://blog.brankovucinec.com/2016/03/19/fix-remote-desktop-dpi-scaling-issues/

>Hi,
>I agree, since I am working on the icon size customization (the
>"future plans" Kevin told about earlier). Though I must say it's not
>easy to prioritize and see what others are going through because I
>don't have access to any HiDPI screen, not even to test, even less for
>my own daily use.
>
>I have also a question, about when you say that text is also too
>small. From what I understood, GIMP should simply follow whatever text
>size settings your operating system is configured with. Are you saying
>that font size is bigger everywhere else but not in GIMP? I think this
>should not happen (but once again, I can hardly test myself without
>such a screen).
>Thanks.
>
>Jehan

On my Surface 4 Pro with the highest resolution Windows set the scaling to
about 200% automatically. Maybe that is part of the problem.

Best regards,
Jan

--
Belthazor (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Change the UI size?

>There are future plans to allow users to allow easier control over the
>icon sizes etc, but at the moment it can be done using add-on themes.
>
>You will find links to some themes that I have made that use bigger
>icons (either 32x32 or 48x48) that others have found useful here:
>http://gimpforums.com/thread-large-size-icons-themes
>
>Kevin

Hi Kevin the link you provided for themes is not working and I have similar
problems as DAWO. The icons in toolbox are so small you can hardly see they're
even there or what they are. My displays default is 3840 X 2160, however I've
tried lowering to 1920 X1080 and still no change. Everything else on my PC is
large except the pesky icons.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

--
dhrisrael (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Change the UI size?

Ofnuts-2
On 17/12/16 09:58, dhrisrael wrote:

>> There are future plans to allow users to allow easier control over the
>> icon sizes etc, but at the moment it can be done using add-on themes.
>>
>> You will find links to some themes that I have made that use bigger
>> icons (either 32x32 or 48x48) that others have found useful here:
>> http://gimpforums.com/thread-large-size-icons-themes
>>
>> Kevin
> Hi Kevin the link you provided for themes is not working and I have similar
> problems as DAWO. The icons in toolbox are so small you can hardly see they're
> even there or what they are. My displays default is 3840 X 2160, however I've
> tried lowering to 1920 X1080 and still no change. Everything else on my PC is
> large except the pesky icons.
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

GimpForums.com is dead. Try here instead:

http://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-GIMP-2-8-Large-size-Icons-Themes

Change the UI size?

rich2005
>GimpForums.com is dead. Try here instead:
>
>http://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-GIMP-2-8-Large-size-Icons-Themes
I am having the same problem with the toolbox icons appearing too small to be
useable, ever since switching from an HP using Windows 10 to a SUrf.ace Pro 4 in
Octovber 2016.

To try to fix the problem this week,
I upgraded to gimp 2.8.16 (from 2.8.14)
Downloaded the themes, Symbolic - Big 32, & Symbolic - Big 48.
Opened Gimp and under preferences chose one of the new themes, then the other.

The toolbox remains the same size.
I already have the my display scaling at 250%

I know this is an ongoing promlem, but if I'm missing something that would help,
please advise.

--
eyegee (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Change the UI size?

>Hi,
>
>I have just dowloaded Gimp 2.8.16 and installed it on my Windows 10 -
>64 bit PC. However, the user interface with all the icons and texts
>are too small for me and it is very hard to read what is on the
>screen. My monitor size is 3440 X 1440. Of course I can change the
>size of everything on the screen by using the Display settings in
>Windows 10 and set the slider to, say, 150%. But then ALL applications
>and windows on the screen get bigger, even if I do not want them to.
>
>Is there a way to customize the size of textlabels, toobars, icons etc
>in the user interface of GIMP?
>
>Thanks!

I've been searching for a solution to this for several releases and still no
joy. Gimp DOES NOT follow Windows scaling or text size convention no matter what
scale or text size. I have to work in Gimp with the Magnifyer and still my eyes
are bleeding after a few minutes. My resolution is 1920x1080, the screenshot
below is with Windows (10) scaling at 125% (I've tried them all) and the font
size is set to 14. You can see the results in Thunderbird on the right following
Windows but Gimp on the left does not. I've tried all the themes I can find and
none of them are larger fonts either.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/504/original/Gimp_font_screenshot.png

--
MJHig (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Change the UI size?

Partha Bagchi-2
On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 6:48 AM, MJHig <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >Hi,
> >
> >I have just dowloaded Gimp 2.8.16 and installed it on my Windows 10 -
> >64 bit PC. However, the user interface with all the icons and texts
> >are too small for me and it is very hard to read what is on the
> >screen. My monitor size is 3440 X 1440. Of course I can change the
> >size of everything on the screen by using the Display settings in
> >Windows 10 and set the slider to, say, 150%. But then ALL applications
> >and windows on the screen get bigger, even if I do not want them to.
> >
> >Is there a way to customize the size of textlabels, toobars, icons etc
> >in the user interface of GIMP?
> >
> >Thanks!
>

> I've been searching for a solution to this for several releases and still
> no
> joy. Gimp DOES NOT follow Windows scaling or text size convention no
> matter what
> scale or text size. I have to work in Gimp with the Magnifyer and still my
> eyes
> are bleeding after a few minutes. My resolution is 1920x1080, the
> screenshot
> below is with Windows (10) scaling at 125% (I've tried them all) and the
> font
> size is set to 14. You can see the results in Thunderbird on the right
> following
> Windows but Gimp on the left does not. I've tried all the themes I can
> find and
> none of them are larger fonts either.
>
> Attachments:
> * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/504/
> original/Gimp_font_screenshot.png
>
> --
>
> I think I have answered this multiple times including in bold letters on
my website. The answer is slightly complicated but not overtly so.

You can do one of 2 things:

1. If you are using 2.9 series on Windows 8 or above 64bit, you can
download my GIMP build from my website and all will be well.

2. If you don't wish to do the above, do the following. Please note that
this involves editing your registry. If you don't know what that is or not
comfortable doing so, then you should ask some expert to do it for you. In
either case, please be sure to backup your registry just in case. This
procedure should not affect any other application and create a problem. So,
here goes:

a. Make the following addition to your registry. Go to Computer >
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion >
SideBySide. Add the following (NEW) DWORD: PreferExternalManifest, Value =
1.

b. Download the following manifest  https:/
www.partha.com/temp/gimp.exe.manifest. It's an XML file that tells Windows
that GIMP is not DPI aware. Please make sure when you download that there
are no extraneous extensions added by your browser. Save this file in the
same folder as your gimp.exe binary. If the GIMP binary is gimp-2.9.exe
then change the manifest filename to gimp-2.9.exe.manifest. Again, it must
reside in the same folder as the GIMP binary.

If you are using GIMP 2.8 series, make the appropriate change.

Now restart GIMP and all should be fine.

I'd even posted a screenshot on my website of GIMP 2.9 running on my 17
inch 4k laptop to demonstrate this.

Hope this helps. If not please send me an email.

Thanks,
Partha
www.partha.com

Change the UI size?

rich2005
>my website. The answer is slightly complicated but not overtly so.
>
>You can do one of 2 things:
>
>1. If you are using 2.9 series on Windows 8 or above 64bit, you can
>download my GIMP build from my website and all will be well.
>
>2. If you don't wish to do the above, do the following. Please note
>that
>this involves editing your registry. If you don't know what that is or
>not
>comfortable doing so, then you should ask some expert to do it for
>you. In
>either case, please be sure to backup your registry just in case. This
>procedure should not affect any other application and create a
>problem. So,
>here goes:
>
>a. Make the following addition to your registry. Go to Computer >
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion >
>SideBySide. Add the following (NEW) DWORD: PreferExternalManifest,
>Value =
>1.
>
>b. Download the following manifest  https:/
>www.partha.com/temp/gimp.exe.manifest. It's an XML file that tells
>Windows
>that GIMP is not DPI aware. Please make sure when you download that
>there
>are no extraneous extensions added by your browser. Save this file in
>the
>same folder as your gimp.exe binary. If the GIMP binary is
>gimp-2.9.exe
>then change the manifest filename to gimp-2.9.exe.manifest. Again, it
>must
>reside in the same folder as the GIMP binary.
>

>If you are using GIMP 2.8 series, make the appropriate change.
>
>Now restart GIMP and all should be fine.
>
>I'd even posted a screenshot on my website of GIMP 2.9 running on my
>17
>inch 4k laptop to demonstrate this.
>
>Hope this helps. If not please send me an email.
>
>Thanks,
>Partha
>www.partha.com

EXCELLENT!!!

Thanks so much Partha, I followed method 2 as I'm still using 8.2 and all
appears well. Gimp loaded very slow scanning over again the first launch causing
concern but subsequent launch was normal and followed Windows DPI scaling,
thanks again.

MJ

--
MJHig (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Change the UI size?

What would it take to be able to improve font readability in the UI?  The image
url below gives a few examples of what's possible.  Please understand, for many
people Gimp would only start to be usable with the large option shown.

http://i.imgur.com/VtIaxX7.png

Lee

--
whitneyland (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Change the UI size?

rich2005
Pardon the double post, I forgot the mention I've already searched for answers,
looked for themes, downloaded 2.82 and 2.95, read the entire thread on UI size,
etc.

thanks

--
whitneyland (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

>Pardon the double post, I forgot the mention I've already searched for answers,
>looked for themes, downloaded 2.82 and 2.95, read the entire thread on UI size,
>etc.
>
>whitneyland (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

I'm curious what this "thread on UI size" is, can you please provide a link.

It's perfectly possible for a theme to specify which font to use, see this post on GimpChat for example: http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10531#p139086

So I'd suggest you pick a theme you'd like to use and edit it to use the font that you would prefer.

regards

Kevin

Change the UI size?

rich2005
Thanks for your reply.  Follow up questions:

1) You don't don't believe adding an option for a larger font size to the base
product as part of the default install, is a high enough priority relative to
the backlog to merit near term consideration?   Anecdotally there seem to be a
lot of requests for it.  Please consider this is not a convenience, or a time
saving feature.  A significant amount of users are simply not functional with an
8pt font.

2)  Regarding your suggestion:  I'm not sure it would be easy, but if the team
is willing to consider (1) then I am willing to help in modifying a theme and
possibly code if required.

The reason it could take some work is that when more real estate is needed
sometimes there are careful considerations required to get the needed space
without disrupting the existing balance and form and the UI.  But you never
know, we could get lucky and have it be easy.

3)  The thread I refer to is the current one for this message.  In case you are
following from a mailing list the URL is
http://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-user/18002-change-the-ui-size.

--
whitneyland (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Change the UI size?

Kevin Payne

>1) You don't don't believe adding an option for a larger font size to the base
>product as part of the default install, is a high enough priority relative to
>the backlog to merit near term consideration?   Anecdotally there seem to be a
>lot of requests for it.  Please consider this is not a convenience, or a time
>saving feature.  A significant amount of users are simply not functional with an
>8pt font.

With my larger themes for 2.8 I was asked to NOT set the font by some users because the operating system/window manager is setting the font independently of GIMP. I believe the same is true of the 2.9 themes, where the font-size setting is present but commented out of the gtkrc files.

So the way forward is a small piece of documentation to explain how to edit the theme gtkrc file for those users who need to change it.

>3)  The thread I refer to is the current one for this message.  In case you are
>following from a mailing list the URL is
>http://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-user/18002-change-the-ui-size.

 Ah - you have that backwards. The web-site you refer to (gimpusers.com) has parasitically attached itself to the gimp-user mailing list and is not the source of the messages.

regards

Kevin