Can't seem to edit brushes or save custom brushes I make.

Can't seem to edit brushes or save custom brushes I make.

Misslo777
woah, haven't been here in a couple years!  I've been trialing Gimp versions
since I first began to use Gimp at version 2.6. what a great program- I freely
admit I shill the GIMP whenever I get a chance; is there a mobile GIMP by
chance?

Anyway. I've recently been working on getting used to 2.10.8 and I believe I'm
missing a fundamental step in saving brushes I make, or .abr brushes (from
ps.cc). Nor can I modify the hardness of a brush. I can't go below .25 hardness
and I prefer 0 most of the time.

I use an old crusty laptop with a touchpad, 12gb ram, 1tb hd...onboard cheapo
graphics card with a sad little 2gb video ram.

It's a small cheap old laptop but has always easily run GIMP (well, some G'mic
filters will trial it).

I've placed my brushes in C:/prog files/gimp2/share/gimp/2.0/brushes; I got this
from a tutorial online.

but all I see are installed brushes, not the ones I make or .abr brush sets.

Please help me figure this out, I 'm pretty sure the path is wrong.

cheers

--
Wood_Goat02 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Can't seem to edit brushes or save custom brushes I make.

Misslo777
>woah, haven't been here in a couple years!  I've been trialing Gimp
>versions since I first began to use Gimp at version 2.6. what a great
>program- I freely admit I shill the GIMP whenever I get a chance; is
>there a mobile GIMP by chance?

There is a portable Gimp 2.10 for Windows try:

www.partha.com (64 bit only) or https://samjcreations.blogspot.com (64/32 bit)
or https://portableapps.com/ (32 bit only)

Android version for a mobile - No

>Anyway. I've recently been working on getting used to 2.10.8 and I
>believe I'm missing a fundamental step in saving brushes I make, or
>.abr brushes (from ps.cc).

Just shows that you should take those online tutorials with a pinch of salt.

Gimp 2.6 / 2.8 / 2.10 all the same, any resource, including brushes, goes in
your Gimp profile.  For Windows 2.10 this is in a hidden folder, you need to
make Appdata visible in Win explorer.

C:\Users\your-name\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\brushes

Portable versions will be different, because they are portable, Look in Edit ->
Preferences -> Folders > Brushes for the path.

PS .abr brushes will work providing they are not very recent, try and see.

Why can you not export (save) your brushes? ***C:/prog
files/gimp2/share/gimp/2.0/brushes*** is marked as read-only. The place to
export is the Gimp profile.

>Nor can I modify the hardness of a brush. I
>can't go below .25 hardness and I prefer 0 most of the time.

I think you can, Attached screenshot of my fuzzy .vbr brush has zero hardness. A
little fuzzier than the stock brushes.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1066/original/brush.jpg

Re: Can't seem to edit brushes or save custom brushes I make.

Ofnuts-2
On 12/9/18 10:52 AM, rich404 wrote:
> The place to
> export is the Gimp profile.

Or any folder you add to Edit>Preferences>Folders>Brushes which IMHO is
an even better solution (easier to manage in your file explorer, more
likely to be backed up, etc...)