Can't install due to Error 5

rich404
Hello
I'm no expert but have been using GIMP for many years.
It's was super glitchy today and rebooting didn't help.
I saw the install was more than a year old, so I uninstalled and intended to
reinstall, but  can't.
Running as Administrator made no difference.

I'm running Windows 10 PRO 64 bit on a desktop.

I attach an image of  the error message.

Any help appreciated, though please keep instructions simple.

Thanks

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/619/original/Fullscreen_capture_6272017_93758_PM.jpg

--
barbsdesk (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Can't install due to Error 5

James Moe
On 06/27/2017 07:03 PM, barbsdesk wrote:
> I attach an image of  the error message.
>
> Any help appreciated, though please keep instructions simple.

  Were you installing the program as an Administrator?
  The error message implies:
1. The directory does not exist and you are not an Admin
2. The directory exists and you do not have sufficient privilege to
(re-)create or access it.

--
James Moe
moe dot james at sohnen-moe dot com

Can't install due to Error 5 - SOLVED

>Hello
>I'm no expert but have been using GIMP for many years.
>It's was super glitchy today and rebooting didn't help.
>I saw the install was more than a year old, so I uninstalled and
>intended to reinstall, but  can't.
>Running as Administrator made no difference.
>
>I'm running Windows 10 PRO 64 bit on a desktop.
>
>I attach an image of  the error message.
>
>Any help appreciated, though please keep instructions simple.
>
>Thanks

Sooo...after 2 days I figured it out and will post here in case others have the
problem.

One of two things happened:
When I uninstalled GIMP, it didn't uninstall everything OR
it installed PARTIALLY before it hit  this error, and all subsequent attempts to
install failed because of these partial files.
Went to C drive >Programs>Gimp and deleted these Gimp files.
Then REBOOT.
Didn't work til I rebooted.
I am now up and running with Gimp 2.8.22 and life can return to normal.

--
barbsdesk (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)