Can't edit text xcf copied to new file

rich404
Hello all,

Apologies if this has been asked but I did a search and couldn't find anything.

My problem is that I did a TV poster that contains an image, the TV show's title
(text layer) and season number (text layer). I wanted to reuse the season text
layer over and over so saved it as a separate xcf file hoping to copy it on each
new poster I create such that I only have to change the # and don't have to keep
retying "Season" which would mean selecting the font type, color and size again
on each new poster.

It worked great to copy it to a new file but I can't edit the text. Gimp doesn't
seem to recognize it as a text layer. The steps I took are: 1. I copied the xcf
as a new layer in my new file then 2. Selected the layer then 3. Selected the
text editing tool but I can't edit the text. I can however re-edit the original
xcf I created so as a workaround I have re-edited my original xcf and then
copied that into my new file but this is not ideal.

Am I doing something wrong or is it not possible to copy a text layer that has
been saved as an xcf to a new file and edit it?

Thanks in advance for any assistance on this.

--
Karen00 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Can't edit text xcf copied to new file

rich404
...snip...

>I wanted to
>reuse the season text layer over and over so saved it as a separate
>xcf file hoping to copy it on each new poster .....

>It worked great to copy it to a new file but I can't edit the text.
>Gimp doesn't seem to recognize it as a text layer. The steps I took
>are:

>1. I copied the xcf as a new layer in my new file then..

>Am I doing something wrong or is it not possible to copy a text layer
>that has been saved as an xcf to a new file and edit it?

Do not copy and paste.

You saved the file with text layer(s) as an xcf file. In the new file open that
xcf using File -> Open as Layers.

alternative.

You can drag and drop the text layer from one image to another.

Click and drag the text layer from the layers dialogue to the tab of the
destination file. The focus (canvas) changes to that file. Do not let go of the
mouse, continue the drag into the canvas.

Can't edit text xcf copied to new file

rich404
>...snip...
>

>Do not copy and paste.
>
>You saved the file with text layer(s) as an xcf file. In the new file
>open that xcf using File -> Open as Layers.
>
>alternative.
>
>You can drag and drop the text layer from one image to another.
>
>Click and drag the text layer from the layers dialogue to the tab of
>the destination file. The focus (canvas) changes to that file. Do not
>let go of the mouse, continue the drag into the canvas.

THANKS so much!!!! I should've thought of the "Open as Layers option!! (That's a
big DUH for me). :-)

--
Karen00 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)