Can't Save my Work

DaveMac01
Hello, I'm a new user of GIMP (Windows 10) and after starting a project file, it
won't allow me to save. I click on the save button, and the button goes dark but
nothing happens. It will allow me to cancel out of the save menu by clicking the
"x" in the top right, but it won't save for me. Doesn't seem to matter if I
wait. This is the same situation for "save as" and "export" features as well. I
tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software, and this did not fix the
problem. Any ideas on a solution? Help is much appreciated.

--
LuxAmaranth (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Can't Save my Work

DaveMac01
>GIMP ... won't allow me to save. I click on the save button, and the button
goes dark but nothing happens. It will allow me to cancel out of the save menu
by clicking the "x" in the top right, but it won't save for me. Doesn't seem to
matter if I wait. This is the same situation for "save as" and "export" features
as well. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software, and this did not
fix the problem.<

For whatever it's worth, I am having the exact same problem with GIMP 2.10.2
(and before that, 2.10.0) in Windows 7-32 bit Professional, but not in Windows
7-64 bit Home Premium. Like you, I tried uninstalling and re-installing. I am
very familiar with the various Export and Save options (and think it idiocy that
GIMP and other software separates the two). I have tried saving (.xcf) and
exporting as a .tif or .jpg--same problem all around.

I have been using GIMP since at least 2.0 and probably 1.2.x, and have never
experienced anything like this before. My home computer (64-bit OS) has been
running versions of GIMP since I got it more than five years ago, and my work
computer (32-bit OS) has been running versions of GIMP since I got it about
three years ago. Neither has given my any problems to speak of with GIMP (other
than printing) before now.

--
NAwlins_Contrarian (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Can't Save my Work

DaveMac01
Well, looks like we're in the same boat then. What is the most recent version of
GIMP that works with your computer? I'm wondering if all else fails, I can try
to find a copy of that version, to see if it will work for me. Thanks!

>For whatever it's worth, I am having the exact same problem with GIMP
>2.10.2 (and before that, 2.10.0) in Windows 7-32 bit Professional, but
>not in Windows 7-64 bit Home Premium. Like you, I tried uninstalling
>and re-installing. I am very familiar with the various Export and Save
>options (and think it idiocy that GIMP and other software separates
>the two). I have tried saving (.xcf) and exporting as a .tif or
>.jpg--same problem all around.
>
>I have been using GIMP since at least 2.0 and probably 1.2.x, and have
>never experienced anything like this before. My home computer (64-bit
>OS) has been running versions of GIMP since I got it more than five
>years ago, and my work computer (32-bit OS) has been running versions
>of GIMP since I got it about three years ago. Neither has given my any
>problems to speak of with GIMP (other than printing) before now.

--
LuxAmaranth (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Can't Save my Work

DaveMac01
>Well, looks like we're in the same boat then. What is the most recent
>version of GIMP that works with your computer? I'm wondering if all
>else fails, I can try to find a copy of that version, to see if it
>will work for me. Thanks!

The 32 bit installation side of Gimp 2.10.2 from gimp.org suffers from the
'blank export' problem.

If you need a Gimp 2.10.2 for 32 bit the portable version from samj works

http://www.aljacom.com/~gimp/Gimp-2.10_32bits_Portable.7z  about 150 MB

You might need to go straight into Edit -> Preferences and enable 'legacy' icons
if they do not initially show

Looks like this https://i.imgur.com/4Qgmdz4.jpg in a 32 bit Win7 VM

Otherwise back to Gimp 2.8.22

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Can't Save my Work

DaveMac01
>The 32 bit installation side of Gimp 2.10.2 from gimp.org suffers from the
'blank export' problem.

The persistence of this problem really strikes me as a substantial sloppiness.
But hey it's free, so I guess complaining loudly is rather unseemly. Or maybe
it's just that the number of remaining 32-bit Windows users is inconsequentially
small (possible but I doubt it).

>If you need a Gimp 2.10.2 for 32 bit the portable version from samj works
>
>http://www.aljacom.com/~gimp/Gimp-2.10_32bits_Portable.7z  about 150

>Otherwise back to Gimp 2.8.22

If the idea of getting a version of GIMP from some non-official source bothers
you (generally it would be a non-starter for me), but you don't still have the
2.8.22 installer, then you can go back and download it from:

https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gimp/v2.8/windows/

--
NAwlins_Contrarian (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Can't Save my Work

DaveMac01

>If the idea of getting a version of GIMP from some non-official source
>bothers you (generally it would be a non-starter for me

Just in case anyone gets the wrong idea from this last comment.

samj Well known in Gimp circles see:

https://samjcreations.blogspot.com/

I posted the direct link to save trawling down the page. Link is somewhere in
the middle.

rich:  www.gimp-forums.net

Can't Save my Work

DaveMac01
>The persistence of this problem really strikes me as a substantial
>sloppiness. But hey it's free, so I guess complaining loudly is rather
>unseemly. Or maybe it's just that the number of remaining 32-bit
>Windows users is inconsequentially small (possible but I doubt it).
>
>If the idea of getting a version of GIMP from some non-official source
>bothers you (generally it would be a non-starter for me), but you
>don't still have the 2.8.22 installer, then you can go back and
>download it from:
>
>https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gimp/v2.8/windows/

Thank you all for your helpful replies. I'm now running 2.8.22 and it seems to
be working well for me (at least its able to save/export.)

--
LuxAmaranth (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Can't Save my Work

Michael Schumacher
On 06/26/2018 03:54 AM, NAwlins_Contrarian wrote:

>> The 32 bit installation side of Gimp 2.10.2 from gimp.org suffers from the
> 'blank export' problem.
>
> The persistence of this problem really strikes me as a substantial sloppiness.
> But hey it's free, so I guess complaining loudly is rather unseemly.

Feel free to do that, but it likely won't help :)

Instead of complaining, we prefer if people try help to figure out what
is responsible for the issues encountered - at the code level and/or in
the build options, of either GIMP or its dependencies.

Can't Save my Work

DaveMac01
>Feel free to do that, but it likely won't help :)
>
>Instead of complaining, we prefer if people try help to figure out what is
responsible for the issues encountered - at the code level and/or in the build
options, of either GIMP or its dependencies.

I have tried to describe and report GIMP bugs before, but my last serious
attempt ended with being told that I needed to run a debugger version and follow
an onerous process to report. The days of my personally coding and/or my having
the interest or patience in that are gone. And yet I treasure the memory from
1993, where the end result of my calling Microsoft support three or four times
and spending literally about five hours on the phone with them ended in their
admitting that I had discovered and demonstrated not one but two
previously-unknown bugs in Word for Mac (must have been about version 5?). Not
that they actually had a fix to make my large, heavily-formatted document work
properly ...

FWIW, for a variety of capability-related reasons, I've substantially migrated
my pixel editing from GIMP to Affinity Photo. And I've found some bizarre errors
there, too; see, e.g.,
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/58706-affinity-photo-error-opening-tiff-grayscale-16-bit/.

--
NAwlins_Contrarian (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Can't Save my Work

DaveMac01
I'm pleased to report that GIMP 2.10.4 and/or its official installer for 32-bit
Windows 7 has solved the problem of not being able to save or export.

--
NAwlins_Contrarian (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)