Cahnge text in image

Luthien
Hi
I an new to Gimp and not very god at it, I have a lot of images that I want to
change the text on it, It must be the same font.

1 How do I know what font it is
2. How do I change the font to new text.

Is there a step by stem to show how this can be done.  I want to change the
language

Hera are two screens to show what I want to try to do.

Attachments:
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1361/original/1.png
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1362/original/2.png

--
OdieZ (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Cahnge text in image

Users mailing list
Odie,

Happily those images can be edited given they have large areas of the
same color. But, two caveats --

1. Be very sure that the content of these images are not copyright if
you intend to use them for anything other than personal use or artistic
purpose. They appear in your examples to be images of some device
display. Such are almost surely under copyright. A word to the wise and
all that.

2. You can NOT tell what fonts were used by the people who originally
made those images unless you have documentation that tells you this or
there is some kind of EXIF data for those images that contain such
information (which is almost surely not true).

The best you can do is compare the fonts on your computer with the fonts
in the images and try to find as close a match as you have. GIMP will
show in its Text control the fonts on your computer. You can use your
operating system's Font control panel (e.g., in Windows10 click on the
taskbar Start menu, type Font, and run the 'Font Settings' application;
Windows will open it; it will show all fonts installed with a small
example of the font so youc an gauge whether it is similar to the fonts
in the images you want to edit).

This said, it is also possible to install new fonts if you find that
none of those your computer currently have are acceptable. Google
maintains a very large collection of non-commercial fonts that you may use:

https://fonts.google.com/

So, a fair bit of effort just to identify a font you can use, I'm afraid.

To "replace" the fonts is fairly straightforward:

 1. Open image
 2. Duplicate layer
 3. Use the Color Picker (type O) tool to select the color behind the font
 4. Switch the Foreground to Background (the two color boxes at the
    bottom of the toolbox) and use the same tool to select the font color
 5. Add some guides for the font baseline and the font begin point, and
    the font height
 6. Switch the colors again and use the Brush tool to color over the font
 7. Switch the colors again and use the Text tool, selecting the font
    you wish to use, and add your new font starting with the guide
    point; you'll likely need to play with the font size to "fit" the
    font height to the guides you added earlier

Regards

On 2/15/2020 8:52 AM, OdieZ wrote:

> Hi
> I an new to Gimp and not very god at it, I have a lot of images that I want to
> change the text on it, It must be the same font.
>
> 1 How do I know what font it is
> 2. How do I change the font to new text.
>
> Is there a step by stem to show how this can be done.  I want to change the
> language
>
> Hera are two screens to show what I want to try to do.
>
> Attachments:
> * https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1361/original/1.png
> * https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1362/original/2.png

--

“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence.”

― Aristotle

Re: Cahnge text in image

On Sat, 2020-02-15 at 15:52 +0100, OdieZ wrote:
> Hi
> I an new to Gimp and not very god at it, I have a lot of images that
> I want to change the text on it, It must be the same font.

This isn't in general easy, unless the images are in PDF or XCF.

> 1 How do I know what font it is

Use font identification software

> 2. How do I change the font to new text.

If the background is solid, erase the old text (e.g. select a rectangle
round it and fill with black or with white) and use the text tool to
make new text.

Note that this is not a usual way to translate software, if that's what
you are doing.

Click here to have the slave rewarded with extra work.

Re: Cahnge text in image

On Sat, 2020-02-15 at 10:07 -0600, Guy Stalnaker via gimp-user-list
wrote:

> 2. You can NOT tell what fonts were used

There's a fairly good font identification program for Android - Find My
Font.

slave liam

Click here to have the slave beaten.

Re: Cahnge text in image

Rick Strong-2
Check out "What The Font" for #1

Rick S.

Re: Cahnge text in image

Kevin Cozens-2
On 2020-02-15 11:19 a.m., Liam R E Quin wrote:
 > On Sat, 2020-02-15 at 10:07 -0600, Guy Stalnaker via gimp-user-list
 > wrote:
 >>
 >> 2. You can NOT tell what fonts were used
 >
 > There's a fairly good font identification program for Android - Find My
 > Font.

You don't need an app to attempt font identification. There are multiple
websites available online that will attempt to identify a font for you given
a sample image. There is at least one site that attempts to identify a font
based on you telling it about various features of characters in the font.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/               | "Nerds make the shiny things that
https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
                                     | that's why we're powerful"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          |
#include <disclaimer/favourite>     |             --Chris Hardwick

Re: Cahnge text in image

News to me, thanks!! I find personally the nuances between, especially,
sans serif fonts quite difficult to "see".