Bulky GIMP

James Rushton
The PATHS tool Edit function simply will not work for me.  Can’t change PATH colors via Stroke. Can’t EDIT the Lines.  No matter what I do everything is Greyed out and inaccessible.  I have re-installed GIMP many times in hopes of deleting all the settings with no luck.  I am spending massive amounts of time having to redraw maps from scratch as a result.  I have your latest release.

Amazing program but I have no interest in becoming a Programmer to use it.

Re: Bulky GIMP

Users mailing list
On Sun, 21 Oct 2018 20:48:28 +0000
James Rushton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The PATHS tool Edit function simply will not work for me.  Can’t
> change PATH colors via Stroke. Can’t EDIT the Lines.  No matter what
> I do everything is Greyed out and inaccessible.  I have re-installed
> GIMP many times in hopes of deleting all the settings with no luck.
> I am spending massive amounts of time having to redraw maps from
> scratch as a result.  I have your latest release.
>
> Amazing program but I have no interest in becoming a Programmer to
> use it.
>
> Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for
> Windows 10

On FreeBSD GIMP 10.6 the PATHS tool works without problem.

Re: Bulky GIMP

On Sun, 2018-10-21 at 20:48 +0000, James Rushton wrote:
> The PATHS tool Edit function simply will not work for me.  Can’t
> change PATH colors via Stroke.

GIMP is a bitmap editor; paths don't appear in the final image
themselves, but are a tool for editing the image. You can convert a
path to a selection and fill the selection with a colour to affect the
pixels in the active layer.

i'm sorry you're frustrated.

For maps, I'd suggest using Inkscape rather than GIMP; there may also
be map-editing software. Right now with GIMP once you have used a path
to make a selection and paint the selected pixels you can't go back and
change the path and have the pixels change underneath. You'd have to
erase them, or delete the layer and make a new one, although you would
still have the path itself. In Inkscape you coud simply edit the path.

Liam (slave ankh)

Click here to have the slave beaten.

Re: Bulky GIMP

Steve Kinney

On 10/21/18 4:48 PM, James Rushton wrote:
> The PATHS tool Edit function simply will not work for me.  Can’t change PATH colors via Stroke. Can’t EDIT the Lines.  No matter what I do everything is Greyed out and inaccessible.  I have re-installed GIMP many times in hopes of deleting all the settings with no luck.  I am spending massive amounts of time having to redraw maps from scratch as a result.  I have your latest release.
>
> Amazing program but I have no interest in becoming a Programmer to use it.

Check here for details on how the Paths tool works:

https://tinyurl.com/ybdnjkzj

No programming is required, ever, but the GIMP is a complex tool that
can do a very wide range of jobs so it does have a learning curve...

:o)