Building refosus for 2.2.7

Don Rozenberg
Hi,

Refocus seems to be an interesting plugin.  I downloaded the gimp 2 version
by Stephan Menzel.  However, I have been unable to compile the code.  I am
running on Knoppix 3.7 which has been recently upgraded and have Gimp 2.2.7
which I installed via apt-get.  I am new to Gimp but have been around
computers
and Linux/Unix for a while.

I have installed the Atlas library and can successfully run configure.
Some of the
configuration output is:

checking for GIMP - version >= 2.0.0... yes (version 2.2.6)
checking for pkg-config... (cached) /usr/bin/pkg-config
checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.0.0... yes (version 2.6.4)
checking for pkg-config... (cached) /usr/bin/pkg-config

The compilation fails with messages like:

In file included from refocus.c:32:
gimppreview.h:36:1: warning: "GIMP_PREVIEW" redefined
In file included from /usr/include/gimp-2.0/libgimpwidgets/gimpwidgets.h:55,
                 from /usr/include/gimp-2.0/libgimp/gimpui.h:25,
                 from gimppreview.h:29,
                 from refocus.c:32:

Looking at the refocus website http://refocus.sourceforge.net/
I get the impressing that the author included, used, and proposed a plugin
preview facility for Gimp and perhaps such a facility has been adopted by
The Gimp which clashes with the refocus code.

In any case, does anyone has anyone successfully built the refocus plugin
for Gimp 2.2.6 or later?  Does anyone have any insight or suggestions that
might help me?

Thanks, in Advance,

Don

--
Don Rozenberg
707-882-3601

Re: Building refosus for 2.2.7

Don Rozenberg
Marc Lehmann wrote:

>On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 12:29:13PM -0700, Don Rozenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Refocus seems to be an interesting plugin.  I downloaded the gimp 2 version
>>by Stephan Menzel.  However, I have been unable to compile the code.  I am
>>

>I built it a few days ago and would have uploaded a binary, but it's for
>amd64 so few people would have a use for it.
>
>What I did was temporarily comment out all "#incldue <*preview.h>" lines
>in the libgimpui(?) libs which made it compile (and run). Quite ugly. Someone
>should fix it, of course :)
>
>PS: I used this slightly hacked source that I downloaded somwehere where I
>can't find it anymore: http://data.plan9.de/refocus-0.9.0.tar.gz

Since last writing, I have been pondering what approach to take to get
refocus working. I finally decided that in the interval between writing
refocus and including a preview facility that was missing from Gimp and
now,the Gimp folks included such a facility which was slightly different
but used some of the same names. In such a scenario if one tried to
compile the code, name conflicts would blow one out of the water.

I decided to try starting with the Gimp 2 version from Stephan Menzel,
refocus-0.9.0_gimp2 and to bypass the Gimp preview stuff and use the
original preview facility in refocus. To do that, I tried compiling
refocus and whenever there was a name conflict I would change the name
in refocus by appending to the name the string '_ROZEN'. It is not that
I am an egotist, it just lets one find all my changes easily and remove
them. It only involved three files gimppreview.h, gimppreview.c, and
refocus.c.  This is similar to what you did and also ugly and also needs
and deserves better.

My final code can be found at
http://page.sourceforge.net/refocus-0.9.0_gimp2_rozen.tgz
<http://page.sourceforge.net/refocus-0.9.0_gimp2_rozen.tgz>  All changes
to Menzel's code are flagged with '_ROZEN'.

      Don

--
Don Rozenberg
707-882-3601