Building GIMP master fails because of missing gobject-introspection

Building GIMP master fails because of missing gobject-introspection

Steve Pricks
Hello,

I was trying to build GIMP master (commit f74320d4dc5e92351001cd44c4380c95725eccd5).
Configure failed with this message:

checking for gobject-introspection... configure: error: gobject-introspection-1.0 is not installed

Configure failed or did not finish!

It also happened when I pass the parameter --enable-introspection=no
Interestingly having the Debian package gobject-introspection (version 1.58) installed didn't have an effect.
After installing the package libgirepository1.0-dev it works, but it seems that the handling of the parameter --enable-introspection=no is buggy (or if introspection is required, then it should not be possible to disable it).

Steve

Re: Building GIMP master fails because of missing gobject-introspection

Elle Stone
On 07/29/2019 04:14 AM, Steve Pricks wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was trying to build GIMP master (commit f74320d4dc5e92351001cd44c4380c95725eccd5).
> Configure failed with this message:
>
> checking for gobject-introspection... configure: error: gobject-introspection-1.0 is not installed
>
> Configure failed or did not finish!
>
> It also happened when I pass the parameter --enable-introspection=no
> Interestingly having the Debian package gobject-introspection (version 1.58) installed didn't have an effect.
> After installing the package libgirepository1.0-dev it works, but it seems that the handling of the parameter --enable-introspection=no is buggy (or if introspection is required, then it should not be possible to disable it).
>
> Steve

I don't have an answer except that checking the latest commits
introspection does now look to be required:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/commit/41d3b478a2899bf1e855f97d5d19784eeb9bd01f

I do have a question: Could someone please explain what introspection
actually is or does? And why it's now required for GIMP instead of
optional? I've looked "introspection" up on the internet several times
over the last few years - all the explanations I've seen just seem like
a bunch of gibberish words all lined up into gibberish paragraphs.

Elle

On 07/29/2019 12:17 AM Elle Stone wrote:
> I do have a question: Could someone please explain what introspection
> actually is or does?

Introspection is a term from computer science.
Introspection is a way to look at a given program and tell about its functions and data structures. This information is then used to access the program’s functions from another program (even in another programming language) or to create a documentation etc.

As far as I know the GIMP developers use it to access GIMP’s functions from Python plug-ins, but they might tell you more about their intentions themselves.

Kind regards,

On 07/29/2019 09:28 AM, Steve Pricks wrote:
> On 07/29/2019 12:17 AM Elle Stone wrote:
>> I do have a question: Could someone please explain what introspection
>> actually is or does?
>
> Introspection is a term from computer science.
> Introspection is a way to look at a given program and tell about its functions and data structures. This information is then used to access the program’s functions from another program (even in another programming language) or to create a documentation etc.

Thanks! That's clear!

> As far as I know the GIMP developers use it to access GIMP’s functions from Python plug-ins, but they might tell you more about their intentions themselves.

Best,
Elle

On 7/29/19 11:14 AM, Steve Pricks wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was trying to build GIMP master (commit f74320d4dc5e92351001cd44c4380c95725eccd5).
> Configure failed with this message:
>
> checking for gobject-introspection... configure: error: gobject-introspection-1.0 is not installed
>
> Configure failed or did not finish!
>
> It also happened when I pass the parameter --enable-introspection=no
> Interestingly having the Debian package gobject-introspection (version 1.58) installed didn't have an effect.
> After installing the package libgirepository1.0-dev it works, but it seems that the handling of the parameter --enable-introspection=no is buggy (or if introspection is required, then it should not be possible to disable it).

Introspection is indeed required to build master right now, and can't be
disabled.  Autoconf simply ignores unsupported --enable-foo flags by
default, so you didn't get an error for the flag (but you should have
gotten a warning at the beginning of the output).

--
Ell