Brush styles?

rich2005
Windows 10
At the bottom of the brush panel on the right (Ver 2.8.20)  There are what seem
like selections for various brush styles. I have never been able to activate
these. Is this just a carryover from an earlier version? or do they actually
work?
See attachment to see what I'm talking about.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/532/original/brushstyles.JPG

--
eingram25 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Brush styles?

Steve Kinney

On 03/26/2017 11:11 PM, eingram25 wrote:
> Windows 10
> At the bottom of the brush panel on the right (Ver 2.8.20)  There are what seem
> like selections for various brush styles. I have never been able to activate
> these. Is this just a carryover from an earlier version? or do they actually
> work?
> See attachment to see what I'm talking about.
>
> Attachments:
> * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/532/original/brushstyles.JPG

Well hey!  This post started me poking around and here's what I found:
Not one but two items in the Brushes dock that I previously paid no
attention to.

The one at the bottom, as shown in the image linked above, is for
/adding/ tags to brushes:  Either by selecting a brush on a default tag
name, or selecting a brush and typing your own tag or tags.

A similar tool at the TOP of the brushes dock is for selecting brushes
by tag.

I have a set of "universal" VBR brushes I made, and named with leading
zeros to put them at the top of my brushes dock.  When I tag them all as
"vector" using the tool at the bottom of the dock, selecting "vector"
from the list provided by the tool at the top of the docs removes all
but my vector brushes from the list displayed in the main area of the dock.

This will come in handy.  Aside from the VBR brushes (which can change
both size and hardness on the fly via some mouse wheel + keyboard
commands I configured), I mostly use texture brushes and image hoses.
Now that I know how, I can tag /those/ for e-z access.

Woo hoo!

:o)

Steve

BTW, quoted from an old post in case you want to play with those "very"
variable brushes: