Brush sizes in GIMP

stricklyprsltd
I can no longer change brush sizes in Gimp 2.8

I downloaded Gimp 2.10 and still cannot change brush sizes.

2.8 the tool box would show up with all the settings for the brushes which
were in white. But it changed to grey and would not allow changes.

2.10 does the same thing. Also the background and icons are all greyish. Not
like before in 2.8 where it was white and the icons had colour??

Any ideas??

Bill

Re: Brush sizes in GIMP

Users mailing list
On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 5:23 AM <stricklyprsltd look.ca> wrote:

> I can no longer change brush sizes in Gimp 2.8
>
> I downloaded Gimp 2.10 and still cannot change brush sizes.

Not enough information, I'm afraid.

> 2.10 does the same thing. Also the background and icons are all greyish. Not
> like before in 2.8 where it was white and the icons had colour??

Edit > Preferences > Interface > Theme (System)  / Icon Theme (Legacy)

Re: Brush sizes in GIMP

Steve Kinney

On 12/15/18 10:11 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> I can no longer change brush sizes in Gimp 2.8
>
> I downloaded Gimp 2.10 and still cannot change brush sizes.
>
> 2.8 the tool box would show up with all the settings for the brushes which
> were in white. But it changed to grey and would not allow changes.
>
> 2.10 does the same thing.

It seems like "something changed" in your installed GIMP files and/or
configuration settings.  Since I don't know what would cause the problem
you describe, I can't suggest a way "back to normal" from there.

But until that underlying problem gets fixed, here's something to try:
Make some new brushes with the Brush Editor.  With any luck they may
work normally, or failing that, the editor's behavior might provide
clues to what's going on.

https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-brush-dialog.html#gimp-brush-editor-dialog

I love "parametric brushes," that's the kind that the brush editor
makes.  Their size, hardness and even shape can be edited.  I configure
keyboard + mouse wheel commands to increase and decrease the size and
hardness of the active brush.  That makes work like retouching photos go
WAY faster, vs. constantly changing brushes.

https://www.hscripts.com/tutorials/gimp/configure-keyboard-shortcuts.html

When I made my 'main' brush set I named them with leading zeroes so they
would always be at the top of the menu in the Brushes dialog dock.  With
a circle, square, diamond and four ellipses (vertical, horizontal and
two diagnoals) I rarely have to use any other brushes.

:o)

Re: Brush sizes in GIMP

Users mailing list
my suggestion would be to rename or delete the current installation's Gimp
folder in home/library/application support/gimp/2.8, then shut down and
restart (cold boot) your computer and reinstall gimp. shut down and cold
boot your computer and start gimp. when the splash screen pops up, you will
be able to either read the components being started or see gibberish again.

hth,

dwain