Book cover image density /resolution etc..

Book cover image density /resolution etc..

Users mailing list
Greetings all,
I am a noob where Gimp is concerned.   I have used it as a photo editor on a fairly cursory level and absolutely love it.  UNTIL, I decided to try to use it to design the cover for my first book.
I tried, I tested and stretched and ran myself mad trying to get it to do what I wanted and in the end I gave up and gave it to someone else to do in Photoshop because it was a quick fix and I only have a limited amount of spare time I can dedicate to these projects.
I am now preparing to publish my second book and I am back to the same issues I was having before..
I have a Hi Definition JPG  image ( I am currently away from the image or I could provide the resolution)  that I have attempted to put into GIMP and the book cover I have is 6x9 inch cover, and the image needs to be a minimum of 300 dpi and when I go in to adjust the size of the image according to the instructions I have, (entering the dpi level in the X and then the cover size in the appropriate location,  it resets the DPI level to something smaller.
I had this same issue before. but could not get around it..   I spent hours going over how to interlace multiple images and it would cause a  sane man to go mad...
And so I am hoping that I can get some help in figuring out this process.
Thanks in advance..
Mark

Re: Book cover image density /resolution etc..

Users mailing list
Hi Mark,

I think you are trying something impossible. 300 dpi = 300 dots per inch
(or better ppi = pixel per inch). If your book is 6x9 your image bust be
(6x300)x(9x300) = 1800x2700 pixel. Every thing else will not work! You
can't change the dpi without changing the number of pixel and the other way
around.

Regards,
Tobias

Am Di., 4. Feb. 2020 um 13:58 Uhr schrieb Mark Banschbach, OFS via
gimp-user-list <[hidden email]>:

> Greetings all,
> I am a noob where Gimp is concerned.   I have used it as a photo editor on
> a fairly cursory level and absolutely love it.  UNTIL, I decided to try to
> use it to design the cover for my first book.
> I tried, I tested and stretched and ran myself mad trying to get it to do
> what I wanted and in the end I gave up and gave it to someone else to do in
> Photoshop because it was a quick fix and I only have a limited amount of
> spare time I can dedicate to these projects.
> I am now preparing to publish my second book and I am back to the same
> issues I was having before..
> I have a Hi Definition JPG  image ( I am currently away from the image or
> I could provide the resolution)  that I have attempted to put into GIMP and
> the book cover I have is 6x9 inch cover, and the image needs to be a
> minimum of 300 dpi and when I go in to adjust the size of the image
> according to the instructions I have, (entering the dpi level in the X and
> then the cover size in the appropriate location,  it resets the DPI level
> to something smaller.
> I had this same issue before. but could not get around it..   I spent
> hours going over how to interlace multiple images and it would cause a
> sane man to go mad...
> And so I am hoping that I can get some help in figuring out this process.
> Thanks in advance..
> Mark

Re: Book cover image density /resolution etc..

Rick Strong-2
Hi Mark,

I suspect that you are trying to make a small image bigger and using "Image
 > print size" to resize it. Use "Image > Scale Image" instead.

Enter "300" px/in in the X resolution box making sure it is linked to the
"Y" resolution box so both resolutions are the same. Then, go up to the
"Height" box and put in "9" plus a bit for bleed, say 0.25 (1/8" bleed top
and bottom). Make sure the width is at least 6" plus 0.25 for bleed on the
outside and spine side. Your printer's bleed settings may be slightly
different. The 300 dpi should stay the same. Click on "Scale". Make sure you
know whether you should be working in CMYK or something else. Save as .png
or hi-rez .jpg.

Good luck,
Rick S,
Ottawa.

Book cover image density /resolution etc..

Alussam
>Greetings all,
>I am a noob where Gimp is concerned.   I have used it as a photo
>editor on a fairly cursory level and absolutely love it.  UNTIL, I
>decided to try to use it to design the cover for my first book.
>I tried, I tested and stretched and ran myself mad trying to get it to
>do what I wanted and in the end I gave up and gave it to someone else
>to do in Photoshop because it was a quick fix and I only have a
>limited amount of spare time I can dedicate to these projects.
>I am now preparing to publish my second book and I am back to the same
>issues I was having before..
>I have a Hi Definition JPG  image ( I am currently away from the image
>or I could provide the resolution)  that I have attempted to put into
>GIMP and the book cover I have is 6x9 inch cover, and the image needs
>to be a minimum of 300 dpi and when I go in to adjust the size of the
>image according to the instructions I have, (entering the dpi level in
>the X and then the cover size in the appropriate location,  it resets
>the DPI level to something smaller.
>I had this same issue before. but could not get around it..   I spent
>hours going over how to interlace multiple images and it would cause
>a  sane man to go mad...
>And so I am hoping that I can get some help in figuring out this
>process.
>Thanks in advance..
>Mark

This is so easy as to be untrue. One thing to remember is Gimp is a bitmap
editor and works in pixels, however

1. Your Hi Definition JPG might need cropping to the correct 6:9 aspect ratio

2. Use Image menu -> Scale Image then

2a. First set the horizontal and vertical resolution to 300 ppi

2b. Now set the image size to 1800 x 2700 pix (or 6 x 9 inches if pixels really
baffle you)

The whole thing can be done in a minute. Really dragging it out to 2 minute
video demo https://youtu.be/BiXv-dgT1DE