Blur / darken a selection as a new layer?

Blur / darken a selection as a new layer?

S.Bob
Hi All;

I wan to select a rectangle on an image, and do the following:

- make the selection a new layer so I can easily move it around and
resize it if needed

- add a border to the selection

- blur / darken the background of the selection

- add text to the selection

I know I can add the text as a new layer, not sure how to properly do
the other items, thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Re: Blur / darken a selection as a new layer?

Liam R E Quin
On Wed, 2020-01-29 at 09:04 -0700, S.Bob wrote:
> Hi All;
>

> I wan to select a rectangle on an image, and do the following:
>
> - make the selection a new layer so I can easily move it around and
> resize it if needed

copy (or copy visible if more than one layer is involved), then paste
in place, then press the newlayer button in the layers dialogue.
> - add a border to the selection
select->border and fill wit pink :)
> - blur / darken the background of the selection
gaussian blur, and curves
> - add text to the selection
text will be a new layer over the rectangle group.
> I know I can add the text as a new layer, not sure how to properly
> do
> the other items, thoughts?

There isn't really a "properly" - it's what works for you.

The best book of GIMP tutorials i've seen is "The Artist's Guide to
GIMP" but i think that's for gimp 2.8, so might not work perfectly.

slave liam

[resending from the right address this time]