Batch converter for web optmisation

s.fringd
Hello,

I like to optimize more than 100 photos (jpeg, 640x480) for web publishing. I
noticed thet the files are much smaller when I simply load and overwrite them
with gimp with very minor loss of quality.

I woul dlike to do this with all my pictures in an automatic batch job. Ho can
I do this?

If there is another nice Linux program, then this would also be ok for me but
I assume that Gimp can do it - I assume that Gimp can do everything:-)

Re: Batch converter for web optmisation

jim feldman
Quoting Stefan Frings <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> I like to optimize more than 100 photos (jpeg, 640x480) for web
publishing.
> I would like to do this with all my pictures in an automatic batch
> job. Ho can
> I do this?
>
> If there is another nice Linux program, then this would also be ok

GIMP is very good at lots of things, but ImageMagick "convert" is what
you want.

Re: Batch converter for web optmisation

Carol Spears
On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 07:46:44PM +0200, Stefan Frings wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I like to optimize more than 100 photos (jpeg, 640x480) for web publishing. I
> noticed thet the files are much smaller when I simply load and overwrite them
> with gimp with very minor loss of quality.
>
> I woul dlike to do this with all my pictures in an automatic batch job. Ho can
> I do this?
>
> If there is another nice Linux program, then this would also be ok for me but
> I assume that Gimp can do it - I assume that Gimp can do everything:-)

while there is no one button or process that is included with gimp that
will accomplish this task, the question is often asked and the
information to answer it should be easy to find.

what i would like to do is to help you with your search words.  the
answers really should be appearing right now quickly when you start to
look for yourself.

can you tell me the ways you look for information online and we can work
through the reason that it was difficult to find it?

carol

Re: Batch converter for web optmisation

Owen-24
On Sun, 1 May 2005 19:46:44 +0200
Stefan Frings <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I like to optimize more than 100 photos (jpeg, 640x480) for web publishing. I
> noticed thet the files are much smaller when I simply load and overwrite them
> with gimp with very minor loss of quality.
>
> I woul dlike to do this with all my pictures in an automatic batch job. Ho can
> I do this?
>
> If there is another nice Linux program, then this would also be ok for me but
> I assume that Gimp can do it - I assume that Gimp can do everything:-)

If you have imagemagick, you can do something like this

#!/bin/bash
for img in `ls *.jpg`
do
          convert -sample 25%x25% $img thumb-$img
done

but read man convert as there are many options

Owen

Re: Batch converter for web optmisation

s.fringd
> can you tell me the ways you look for information online and we can work
> through the reason that it was difficult to find it?

I searched in google and freshmeat.net for "batch image" "batch photo" "jpeg
converter" "batch converter" without success. Somebody wrote that ImageMagick
is what I need. I will give it a try

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 07:25:23AM +0200, Stefan Frings wrote:
> > can you tell me the ways you look for information online and we can work
> > through the reason that it was difficult to find it?
>
> I searched in google and freshmeat.net for "batch image" "batch photo" "jpeg
> converter" "batch converter" without success. Somebody wrote that ImageMagick
> is what I need. I will give it a try

when you searched the gimp-user list you used the words gimp and linux.
give a search engine the same words.

i know that gimp is a free and therefore unpopular and perhaps dangerous
application; however, it would be nice to think that eventually the
search engines could find it.

good luck with your images,
carol

Re: Batch converter for web optmisation

Sven Neumann

Stefan Frings <[hidden email]> writes:

> I like to optimize more than 100 photos (jpeg, 640x480) for web
> publishing. I noticed thet the files are much smaller when I simply
> load and overwrite them with gimp with very minor loss of quality.
>
> I woul dlike to do this with all my pictures in an automatic batch
> job. Ho can I do this?

http://gimp.org/tutorials/Basic_Batch/

Sven

Re: Batch converter for web optmisation

s.fringd
> when you searched the gimp-user list

That did not work. There was a technical issue with the archive yesterday.

Re: Batch converter for web optmisation

s.fringd
convert -quality 80 $sourcefile $sourcefile-new.jpg

did the job fine for me. Thanks for helping and for allowing the off-topic
answer here.

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 09:52:30PM +0200, Stefan Frings wrote:
> > when you searched the gimp-user list
>
> That did not work. There was a technical issue with the archive yesterday.

the mail archives is a problem.

many of us writing tutorials are curious what using the words "gimp
linux batch" in any search engine does for you.

for some reason, one or more of them either are not being used or do not
send back results about image software.

can you try that for me?  put the words "gimp batch" into any search
engine and see what the results are.

it should happen one day or another that the search engines will provide
information from contributors.  we have a disadvantage since we do not
pay for position.  it just seems to me that this should be showing up
one day soon.

tell me the results you get and the engine you used.  search the web, i
think there is more than just the one tutorial that is available on the
gimp web site.

carol

Re: Batch converter for web optmisation

Richard C. Steffens
On Monday 02 May 2005 5:36 pm, Carol Spears wrote:

> many of us writing tutorials are curious what using the words "gimp
> linux batch" in any search engine does for you.

In Oregon, USA (I don't know if that really matters), Google gives me 74,100
hits, starting with:

http://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl1_gimp.htm

Fourth on the list is:

http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/

Yahoo gives me 80,400 hits, starting with:

http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/

Ask Jeeves gives me 16,400 hits, starting with:

http://gimp.linux.it/www/the_gimp_about.html

The gimp.org/tutorials site did not show up on Ask Jeeves in the first 50
hits.

Dick Steffens

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 06:10:08PM -0700, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> On Monday 02 May 2005 5:36 pm, Carol Spears wrote:
>
> > many of us writing tutorials are curious what using the words "gimp
> > linux batch" in any search engine does for you.
>
> In Oregon, USA (I don't know if that really matters), Google gives me 74,100
> hits, starting with:

yes, it is difficult to say what makes a search engine respond.  i saw
two computers in the same house, both using google with the default
moderately safe search option.  i cannot remember the search term but
the first hit in my mozilla displayed search was different than the
first hit in the internet explorer display.

it was michigan and i think there was snow on the ground.  in case this
matters.

> http://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl1_gimp.htm
>
> Fourth on the list is:
>
> http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/
>

> Yahoo gives me 80,400 hits, starting with:
>
> http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/
>

> Ask Jeeves gives me 16,400 hits, starting with:
>
> http://gimp.linux.it/www/the_gimp_about.html
>
> The gimp.org/tutorials site did not show up on Ask Jeeves in the first 50
> hits.

it looks like we do fairly well on your browser and mine on all except
the extremely safe web searches.

to be considered so safe and to still have such a terrible name -- it is
humbling that we are there at all.

i think that by the time ask jeeves considers gimp to be safe, gimp will
have surely jumped the shark.

batch processing with gimp is cool.  thanks for the fun :)

carol

Re: Batch converter for web optmisation

Daniel Yek

On Sun, 2005-05-01 at 19:46 +0200, Stefan Frings wrote:
Hello,

photos for web publishing. I noticed thet the files are much smaller when I simply load and overwrite them
with gimp

I would like to do this with all my pictures in an automatic batch job.

If there is another nice Linux program,

Not really to optimize the file size, but gthumb (FC3/ApplicationsMenu/Graphics/PhotoTools) can publish selected photos as web album - start gthumb, select a set of photos, click ToolsMenu/CreateWebAlbum - very easy.

Daniel.

Re: Batch converter for web optmisation

Bugzilla from iw@ukulele.com
On Sunday 01 May 2005 07:46 am, Stefan Frings wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I like to optimize more than 100 photos (jpeg, 640x480) for web publishing.
> I noticed thet the files are much smaller when I simply load and overwrite
> them with gimp with very minor loss of quality.
>
> I woul dlike to do this with all my pictures in an automatic batch job. Ho
> can I do this?
>
> If there is another nice Linux program, then this would also be ok for me
> but I assume that Gimp can do it - I assume that Gimp can do everything:-)

Take a look at Digikam:
http://digikam.sourceforge.net/Digikam-SPIP/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=6

It can handle batch processes, though perhaps not as fast as a command line
program.

Wayne