Batch Image Manipulation, it's time to implement it in GIMP

Batch Image Manipulation, it's time to implement it in GIMP

Davide Perini
Hi all,
BIMP does not work with Gimp 2.10 and it is not possible to do a batch
resize of images.

This is pretty unacceptable in 2018 from a program of such a great quality.

Is there someone working on this feature?
Isn't it time to include this feature in the official gimp without the
needs of extensions or plugins?

Thanks,
Davide

Re: Batch Image Manipulation, it's time to implement it in GIMP

Kasim Ahmic
BIMP is a plug-in developed by Alessandro Francesconi who is not a direct part of the GIMP team to my knowledge. There is already a ticket posted on BIMP’s official Github repository about the incompatibility (https://github.com/alessandrofrancesconi/gimp-plugin-bimp/issues/171) and Alessandro is currently working on getting it updated (https://github.com/alessandrofrancesconi/gimp-plugin-bimp/issues/165#issuecomment-386209784).

As for if BIMP should be included in GIMP, it sort of already is. GIMP has built in batch editing through the command line, see here (https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Basic_Batch/).

- Kasim Ahmić

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 2, 2018, at 2:29 PM, Davide Perini <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> BIMP does not work with Gimp 2.10 and it is not possible to do a batch resize of images.
>
> This is pretty unacceptable in 2018 from a program of such a great quality.
>
> Is there someone working on this feature?
> Isn't it time to include this feature in the official gimp without the needs of extensions or plugins?
>
> Thanks,
> Davide

Re: Batch Image Manipulation, it's time to implement it in GIMP

Alexandre Prokoudine
On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 9:29 PM, Davide Perini wrote:
> Hi all,
> BIMP does not work with Gimp 2.10 and it is not possible to do a batch
> resize of images.
>
> This is pretty unacceptable in 2018 from a program of such a great quality.

Is it so unacceptable that you are volunteering to implement
non-destructive editing followed by GEGL-based action recording? Say
'yes'! :)

Re: Batch Image Manipulation, it's time to implement it in GIMP

Michal Vašut-2
Is it so unacceptable that you are volunteering to implement
> non-destructive editing followed by GEGL-based action recording.

That's quiet interesting idea! If my knowledge is correct, GEGL operations
could be represented like nodes of some graph, where the graph could serve
as a recorded macro (I am imagining that some filters are also those kinds
of macros). There is somewhere discussion about GEGL node editor in mailing
list history.

Batch Image Manipulation, it's time to implement it in GIMP

Misslo777
I used batch mode (David's Batch Processor) from within Gimp 2.8 and below often
as I send large numbers of  photos to relatives to keep them updated on family
matters.  I have also used BIMP (and tried to recompile it for Gimp 2.10 under
Ubuntu 18.04, but so far can not get it to compile).

I miss having some sort of batch mode, inbuilt into gimp.  Writing scripts to
run from a terminal as has been suggested is too  difficult for an
unsophisticated user such as myself.  The way I use DBP or Bimp is
non-destructive as I write the files out with a different name.

--
mgwong (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)