Batch Image Manipulation, it's time to implement it in GIMP

Batch Image Manipulation, it's time to implement it in GIMP

Davide Perini
Hi all,
BIMP does not work with Gimp 2.10 and it is not possible to do a batch
resize of images.

This is pretty unacceptable in 2018 from a program of such a great quality.

Is there someone working on this feature?
Isn't it time to include this feature in the official gimp without the
needs of extensions or plugins?

Thanks,
Davide

Re: Batch Image Manipulation, it's time to implement it in GIMP

Kasim Ahmic
BIMP is a plug-in developed by Alessandro Francesconi who is not a direct part of the GIMP team to my knowledge. There is already a ticket posted on BIMP’s official Github repository about the incompatibility (https://github.com/alessandrofrancesconi/gimp-plugin-bimp/issues/171) and Alessandro is currently working on getting it updated (https://github.com/alessandrofrancesconi/gimp-plugin-bimp/issues/165#issuecomment-386209784).

As for if BIMP should be included in GIMP, it sort of already is. GIMP has built in batch editing through the command line, see here (https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Basic_Batch/).

- Kasim Ahmić

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 2, 2018, at 2:29 PM, Davide Perini <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> BIMP does not work with Gimp 2.10 and it is not possible to do a batch resize of images.
>
> This is pretty unacceptable in 2018 from a program of such a great quality.
>
> Is there someone working on this feature?
> Isn't it time to include this feature in the official gimp without the needs of extensions or plugins?
>
> Thanks,
> Davide

Re: Batch Image Manipulation, it's time to implement it in GIMP

Alexandre Prokoudine
On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 9:29 PM, Davide Perini wrote:
> Hi all,
> BIMP does not work with Gimp 2.10 and it is not possible to do a batch
> resize of images.
>
> This is pretty unacceptable in 2018 from a program of such a great quality.

Is it so unacceptable that you are volunteering to implement
non-destructive editing followed by GEGL-based action recording? Say
'yes'! :)

Re: Batch Image Manipulation, it's time to implement it in GIMP

Michal Vašut-2
Is it so unacceptable that you are volunteering to implement
> non-destructive editing followed by GEGL-based action recording.

That's quiet interesting idea! If my knowledge is correct, GEGL operations
could be represented like nodes of some graph, where the graph could serve
as a recorded macro (I am imagining that some filters are also those kinds
of macros). There is somewhere discussion about GEGL node editor in mailing
list history.

Batch Image Manipulation, it's time to implement it in GIMP

hg2051
I used batch mode (David's Batch Processor) from within Gimp 2.8 and below often
as I send large numbers of  photos to relatives to keep them updated on family
matters.  I have also used BIMP (and tried to recompile it for Gimp 2.10 under
Ubuntu 18.04, but so far can not get it to compile).

I miss having some sort of batch mode, inbuilt into gimp.  Writing scripts to
run from a terminal as has been suggested is too  difficult for an
unsophisticated user such as myself.  The way I use DBP or Bimp is
non-destructive as I write the files out with a different name.

--
mgwong (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Batch Image Manipulation, it's time to implement it in GIMP

hg2051
>Hi all,
>BIMP does not work with Gimp 2.10 and it is not possible to do a batch
>resize of images.
>
>This is pretty unacceptable in 2018 from a program of such a great
>quality.
>
>Is there someone working on this feature?
>Isn't it time to include this feature in the official gimp without the
>needs of extensions or plugins?
>
>Thanks,
>Davide

Completely agree! Gimp is horrible regarding batch-functionality! I try around
since hours...still without success.

>GIMP has built in batch editing through the command line, see here
>(https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Basic_Batch/).
>
>- Kasim Ahmić

@Kasim: commandline and Script-FU and all that stuff is so 1990....we have
2019.

--
Micha1982 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Batch Image Manipulation, it's time to implement it in GIMP

hg2051
>I used batch mode (David's Batch Processor) from within Gimp 2.8 and
>below often as I send large numbers of  photos to relatives to keep
>them updated on family matters.  I have also used BIMP (and tried to
>recompile it for Gimp 2.10 under Ubuntu 18.04, but so far can not get
>it to compile).

Unable to compile BIMP2 for Gimp 2.10.x? It throws up lots of warnings but no
errors. Possible reasons:

A mix of non-compatible dependencies.

Using the Gimp flatpak (or snap) This version is 'sandboxed' and installed dev
packages are not seen.

A quick demo (using ubuntu 18.10) might give a clue where the compile fails on
your installation.

https://youtu.be/XlPKUX62JcA  duration 4 minutes

Attached the BIMP2 binary from that. This does work in a (k)ubuntu 18.04 Worth a
try.

However, the previous BIMP 1.18 still works with Gimp 2.10.x

>I miss having some sort of batch mode, inbuilt into gimp.  Writing
>scripts to run from a terminal as has been suggested is too  difficult
>for an unsophisticated user such as myself.  The way I use DBP or Bimp
>is non-destructive as I write the files out with a different name.

I agree about scripting, Scheme or Python, equally akin to Sanskrit for the
average Gimp user.

Attachments:
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1086/original/bimp2.zip

On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 2:44 PM Micha1982 wrote:

> >Hi all,
> >BIMP does not work with Gimp 2.10 and it is not possible to do a batch
> >resize of images.

https://github.com/alessandrofrancesconi/gimp-plugin-bimp/releases/tag/v2.0

"BIMP codebase has been updated to be natively compatible with GIMP
2.10, while it does not work anymore with GIMP <= 2.8."

Re: Batch Image Manipulation, it's time to implement it in GIMP

Kevin Cozens-2
On 2019-01-08 2:23 a.m., Micha1982 wrote:
>> BIMP does not work with Gimp 2.10 and it is not possible to do a batch
>> resize of images.

If all that is required is to do a batch resize you can do that with the
convert program that is part of the ImageMagick set of programs.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/               | "Nerds make the shiny things that
https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
                                     | that's why we're powerful"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          |
#include <disclaimer/favourite>     |             --Chris Hardwick

On 1/8/19 8:23 AM, Micha1982 wrote:

>> Hi all,
>> BIMP does not work with Gimp 2.10 and it is not possible to do a batch
>> resize of images.
>>
>> This is pretty unacceptable in 2018 from a program of such a great
>> quality.
>>
>> Is there someone working on this feature?
>> Isn't it time to include this feature in the official gimp without the
>> needs of extensions or plugins?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Davide
> Completely agree! Gimp is horrible regarding batch-functionality! I try around
> since hours...still without success.
>
>> GIMP has built in batch editing through the command line, see here
>> (https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Basic_Batch/).
>>
>> - Kasim Ahmić
>>
> @Kasim: commandline and Script-FU and all that stuff is so 1990....we have
> 2019.

I have been writing code since the 1970's. I've seen numerous attempts
to replace code written in a text editor by code generated by clicking
in graphical interfaces, possibly under the assumption that this could
be used by non-programmers and therefore get rid of that costly
programmers clique. These attempts all fell in two categories, those
that utterly failed and those that ended up used only by programmers.

Programming isn't writing code. Programming is finding the point of view
that makes things simple (at least, as simple as possible). Programming
is knowing how to sense problems and code around them. Programming is
knowing how to debug your creation, because it rarely works on the first
try.

This is 2019. A couple of months ago, I was helping teenage kids
"program" Lego Mindstorm robots in a science fair. It's all graphical,
you connect little boxes to start motors, react to sensor events, etc...
All kids started a program and when the robot crashed and burned they
couldn't imagine what to try to figure out what the problem was. I had
to tell them. These kids were intelligent, once I gave them a few hints
they could move forward, but they couldn't come up all by themselves
with the right way to do it.

Back to Gimp & Bimp. If I give you a GUI where you can do more than the
really trivial stuff which is best done with ImageMagick, you won't be
able to use it efficiently without acquiring a programmer's mindset. And
once you have done so you discover that you can learn Python in a couple
of hours, and that you are more efficient with it than with a GUI.

As we were saying in the 80s: "Command-line stuff. This is so 1950..."

PS: The tutorial referred to by Kasim dates back to Gimp 2.4... so it's
at least 10 years old...