Background Removal failute

rich404
Hello, everyone. I followed the Gimp video tutorial for background removal.
Everything seemed to go as directed until it came time to delete that background
layer from the image so that the foreground image remained. Once I deleted the
background layer I selected, the whole image showed as nothing but a transparent
frame. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong? I have attached my screen shots of
what resulted. Thank you in advance. --Kim

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1036/original/Background_selected_for_deleting.tiff
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1037/original/After_background_layer_deleted.tiff

--
KiminWisconsin (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Background Removal failure

--
KiminWisconsin (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Background Removal failute

>Hello, everyone. I followed the Gimp video tutorial for background
>removal. Everything seemed to go as directed until it came time to
>delete that background layer from the image so that the foreground
>image remained. Once I deleted the background layer I selected, the
>whole image showed as nothing but a transparent frame. Can anyone tell
>me what I did wrong? I have attached my screen shots of what resulted.
>Thank you in advance. --Kim

Unfortunately your screenshots do not provide much in the way of information.

Make a full interface shot like the attached (Gimp 2.8) and give the version of
Gimp (2.8 or 2.10 ) together with your computer operating system (Windows /
linux / OSX)

The only thing you can say is your selection could be better. Apart from that,
the procedure might be

1. Make sure the image has an alpha-channel (for transparency) Layer ->
Transparency -> Add alpha channel

2. Make a selection around the bit you want to keep. Various tools for this
free-select / scissors / foreground select. Fuzzy/Colour select best on plain
backgrounds. All depends on the image.

3. Invert the selected foreground Select -> Invert

4. Cut the selection Edit -> Cut

5. Select -> None

You do not need more than one layer, except often a light grey under shows up
any edge errors. Save as a .xcf keeps layers / selections etc. Export as a png
for a flattened image with transparency.

Out of interest, which video tutorial? There are other ways of extracting a
foreground, the Gimp plugin g'mic has a useful filter.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1038/original/before-cut.jpg
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1039/original/after-cut.jpg

Re: Background Removal failute

Rick Strong-2
Kim,
After you have made your selection, try hitting "Enter" to make your
selection "stick".
Then Invert the selection.
Then delete it.

Rick S.