Automatic flattening when exporting

Roundball
I'm using GIMP 2.8.18.

In previous versions, if you exported (saved as it used to be) to a format that
doesn't support layers, but does support transparency (such as PNG), you would
get a dialog asking if you wanted to merge or flatten. This dialog has
disappeared, so now, if I want to export a flattened image, I have to manually
flatten, export, then undo so that I don't trash my source XCF. Is there a way
to automatically flatten before export (other than writing my own extension)?

--
Jaguar (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Automatic flattening when exporting

Ofnuts-2
On 14/02/17 05:29, Jaguar wrote:
> I'm using GIMP 2.8.18.
>
> In previous versions, if you exported (saved as it used to be) to a format that
> doesn't support layers, but does support transparency (such as PNG), you would
> get a dialog asking if you wanted to merge or flatten. This dialog has
> disappeared, so now, if I want to export a flattened image, I have to manually
> flatten, export, then undo so that I don't trash my source XCF. Is there a way
> to automatically flatten before export (other than writing my own extension)?

Have you tried Image>Duplicate image (Ctrl-D) and then flatten/export
the copy?

Automatic flattening when exporting

Roundball
>Have you tried Image>Duplicate image (Ctrl-D) and then flatten/export
>the copy?
Yes. The advantage is, you won't destroy your original image, but the process is
longer again.

The old option would basically do the flattening as part of the save and leave
the original in tact.

--
Jaguar (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Automatic flattening when exporting

Richard Gitschlag
Really, the only difference between merge and flatten is the presence of an alpha channel (vs background color) in the final result.  The fastest solution would be for the relevant export plugin(s) to have an option controlling whether or not to include the alpha channel as part of the export.  Enabled by default, of course, but available nonetheless.

-- Stratadrake
[hidden email]
--------------------

________________________________
In previous versions, if you exported (saved as it used to be) to a format that
doesn't support layers, but does support transparency (such as PNG), you would
get a dialog asking if you wanted to merge or flatten. This dialog has
disappeared, so now, if I want to export a flattened image, I have to manually
flatten, export, then undo so that I don't trash my source XCF. Is there a way
to automatically flatten before export (other than writing my own extension)?

--
Jaguar (via www.gimpusers.com/forums<http://www.gimpusers.com/forums>)
[http://www.gimpusers.com/assets/news_without_preview-35e621160a49ad0e6c18ac84161f548e.jpg]<http://www.gimpusers.com/forums>

Forums — gimpusers.com<http://www.gimpusers.com/forums>
www.gimpusers.com
Forums. While there are many different GIMP forums of there, our own forums provide an extended way to communicate because they are connected to the official GIMP ...

mail.gnome.org
GNOME.org. Home; Mailing Lists; List Archives; Search