Automate Creation of Center Guides

Misslo777
Hey guys!

I'm using GIMP 2.10, and I find that a very common thing I do when I work in
GIMP is creating vertical and horizontal percentage guides at 50%. I feel like
there has to be a way to automate this by scripting, but I'm not entirely sure
how to go about it. I DID find a couple links to old plugins that would work
perfectly, but unfortunately all the links I've found so far have been dead. Can
anyone point me in the right direction for some plugins that will do this? Or
some resources to script it myself? Thanks!

--
Trev81 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Automate Creation of Center Guides

Misslo777
>Hey guys!
>
>I'm using GIMP 2.10, and I find that a very common thing I do when I
>work in GIMP is creating vertical and horizontal percentage guides at
>50%. I feel like there has to be a way to automate this by scripting,
>but I'm not entirely sure how to go about it. I DID find a couple
>links to old plugins that would work perfectly, but unfortunately all
>the links I've found so far have been dead. Can anyone point me in the
>right direction for some plugins that will do this? Or some resources
>to script it myself? Thanks!

You could try this one guides-grid.scm . I've used it for years, works Gimp 2.8
& 2.10 / linux / win

Sets guides by number or pixels (no percentages) so 2x2 = centerlines. file
attached.

or somewhat more complicated, a python plugin ofn-preset-guides.py from

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-tools/files/scripts/  about 24 down from
the top. Instructions are in the zip.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/986/original/guides-grid.scm

Automate Creation of Center Guides

Misslo777
>You could try this one guides-grid.scm . I've used it for years, works
>Gimp 2.8 & 2.10 / linux / win
>
>Sets guides by number or pixels (no percentages) so 2x2 = centerlines.
>file attached.
>
>or somewhat more complicated, a python plugin ofn-preset-guides.py
>from
>
>https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-tools/files/scripts/  about 24
>down from the top. Instructions are in the zip.

PERFECT! That file you attached was exactly the kinda thing I was looking for.
Thank you so much!

--
Trev81 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Automate Creation of Center Guides

Here is an old script I use for just this. I created a shortcut to drop crosshairs whenever I need them. I like it because there are no menus or options, just hit the shortcut and it's done.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7axl454tbx44i4k/Gregs%20Crosshairs.scm?dl=1

For more complicated guides, I use either the ofn-guides like rich posted, or Arakne Guide Lab.

http://www.arakne.es/en/dessign/gimp-guideslab-edit-guides-numerically/

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018, at 1:59 PM, Trev81 wrote:

> Hey guys!
>
> I'm using GIMP 2.10, and I find that a very common thing I do when I work in
> GIMP is creating vertical and horizontal percentage guides at 50%. I feel like
> there has to be a way to automate this by scripting, but I'm not entirely sure
> how to go about it. I DID find a couple links to old plugins that would work
> perfectly, but unfortunately all the links I've found so far have been dead. Can
> anyone point me in the right direction for some plugins that will do this? Or
> some resources to script it myself? Thanks!
>
> --
> Trev81 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

  akovia

Automate Creation of Center Guides

Misslo777
>Here is an old script I use for just this. I created a shortcut to
>drop crosshairs whenever I need them. I like it because there are no
>menus or options, just hit the shortcut and it's done.
>
>https://www.dropbox.com/s/7axl454tbx44i4k/Gregs%20Crosshairs.scm?dl=1
>
>For more complicated guides, I use either the ofn-guides like rich
>posted, or Arakne Guide Lab.
>
>http://www.arakne.es/en/dessign/gimp-guideslab-edit-guides-numerically/

Whoa, that's even better! I didn't know having it as a script would let you
assign it to a keyboard shortcut, that's super slick! Thanks akovia!

--
Trev81 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Automate Creation of Center Guides

Misslo777
>Here is an old script I use for just this. I created a shortcut to
>drop crosshairs whenever I need them. I like it because there are no
>menus or options, just hit the shortcut and it's done.
>
>https://www.dropbox.com/s/7axl454tbx44i4k/Gregs%20Crosshairs.scm?dl=1
>
>For more complicated guides, I use either the ofn-guides like rich
>posted, or Arakne Guide Lab.
>
>http://www.arakne.es/en/dessign/gimp-guideslab-edit-guides-numerically/

Hello

The guide Lab plugin seems like a godsend, I am just having trouble installing
it. I have tried it all Data roaming - Script folder - plugin folder - with no
success...

Would you be so kind and give me some guidance (pun intended)

Gimp: 2.10.8 / Windows 10

Thank you

--
knowthyself (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Automate Creation of Center Guides

Ofnuts-2
On 11/17/18 12:50 PM, knowthyself wrote:

> Hello
>
> The guide Lab plugin seems like a godsend, I am just having trouble installing
> it. I have tried it all Data roaming - Script folder - plugin folder - with no
> success...
>
> Would you be so kind and give me some guidance (pun intended)
>
> Gimp: 2.10.8 / Windows 10
>
> Thank you

Also ofn-preset-guides here: ofn-preset-guides.zip
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-tools/files/scripts/ofn-preset-guides.zip/download>

You can define your own sets of guides (absolute or relative positions),
and assign key shortcuts to them.