Asking for comparison to Photoshop, pretty please!

Asking for comparison to Photoshop, pretty please!

Users mailing list
 Hello,
 The last day I've been looking at various reviews of GIMP compared to
Photoshop (on the image editing aspect only, as I know GIMP does not focus
on anything else), yet none seem satisfying enough: they are being a bit
vague with not many specific examples. I have seen some giving specific
examples for brushes, selection tools and... generally editing tools, but
I'm still not sure whether to trust them, because most people write reviews
without actually learning GIMP in such depth as Photoshop.

 In short, they say GIMP lacks the convenience that Photoshop provides on
how to handle tools and brushes. And also, they say the GUI is nicer over
at Photoshop, but I cannot guarantee that.

 On the other hand, I have heard that GIMP has actually been easier to use
and learn and more flexible than Photoshop. They say GIMP is actually
greater at photo editing than Photoshop is.

 You can really see that opinions vary so much, I really don't what to
conclude. Lastly, as I am really clueless about photo editing, I will refer
to the Adobe Photoshop website which contains some short videos (gifs?)
that show how photoshop works. They gave me the impression that the
software works really smoothly (might be false of course, because of its
size) and that it's really simple if you know what you are looking for.
Could GIMP be like that too?

 I really don't know and that's why I ask you, who seem to have a lot of
experience at such, photo editing, software like Photoshop. So, again,
looking only at the photo editing aspect of Photoshop, what kind of things
(tools,brushes, file formats, UI-related) do you think that Photoshop can
handle better/worse than GIMP? I planned to make this mail short but failed
miserably so if you made it this far, I appreciate it!

 Just a fan of FOSS and (GNU)Linux,
 Dimitris Giannos

Re: Asking for comparison to Photoshop, pretty please!

Users mailing list
  Oh, I also forgot the part about Photoshop being available for Tablets
and phones. Could there be similar plans for GIMP?

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 9:53 AM Δημήτρης Γιάννος <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>  Hello,
>  The last day I've been looking at various reviews of GIMP compared to
> Photoshop (on the image editing aspect only, as I know GIMP does not focus
> on anything else), yet none seem satisfying enough: they are being a bit
> vague with not many specific examples. I have seen some giving specific
> examples for brushes, selection tools and... generally editing tools, but
> I'm still not sure whether to trust them, because most people write reviews
> without actually learning GIMP in such depth as Photoshop.
>
>  In short, they say GIMP lacks the convenience that Photoshop provides on
> how to handle tools and brushes. And also, they say the GUI is nicer over
> at Photoshop, but I cannot guarantee that.
>
>  On the other hand, I have heard that GIMP has actually been easier to use
> and learn and more flexible than Photoshop. They say GIMP is actually
> greater at photo editing than Photoshop is.
>
>  You can really see that opinions vary so much, I really don't what to
> conclude. Lastly, as I am really clueless about photo editing, I will refer
> to the Adobe Photoshop website which contains some short videos (gifs?)
> that show how photoshop works. They gave me the impression that the
> software works really smoothly (might be false of course, because of its
> size) and that it's really simple if you know what you are looking for.
> Could GIMP be like that too?
>
>  I really don't know and that's why I ask you, who seem to have a lot of
> experience at such, photo editing, software like Photoshop. So, again,
> looking only at the photo editing aspect of Photoshop, what kind of things
> (tools,brushes, file formats, UI-related) do you think that Photoshop can
> handle better/worse than GIMP? I planned to make this mail short but failed
> miserably so if you made it this far, I appreciate it!
>
>  Just a fan of FOSS and (GNU)Linux,
>  Dimitris Giannos

Re: Asking for comparison to Photoshop, pretty please!

gimp-users.mbourne
Δημήτρης Γιάννος via gimp-user-list wrote:
>    Oh, I also forgot the part about Photoshop being available for Tablets
> and phones. Could there be similar plans for GIMP?

There's an entry on the FAQ about the lack of Android/iOS support:
https://www.gimp.org/docs/userfaq.html#will-you-release-gimp-for-android-or-ios-devices

I can't really help with a comparison.  I only use GIMP occasionally,
mostly for fairly basic things, and have never used Photoshop.

I'd guess part of the problem with comparisons is that someone who uses
Photoshop all the time (so already has a license for it) can just
download GIMP for free, give it a go for a few hours and write a
comparison.  But they'd perceive GIMP as difficult to use because it's
not the same as Photoshop and they haven't got used to the differences.
On the other hand, someone who happily uses GIMP all the time, and is
really familiar with all its features, isn't so likely to pay for
Photoshop just to compare it to GIMP.  But if they did, they'd probably
encounter similar difficulties with Photoshop.  There may well be some
reviews out there written by people who do use both regularly and can
make a fair comparison, but the difficulty would be finding them (and
knowing that you've found them!)

--
Mark.

Re: Asking for comparison to Photoshop, pretty please!

Rick Strong-2
GIMP is free. Download it, try it. There are GIMP tutorials out there. Like
any software, once you know it things go smoothly and quickly. I have used
it for years. You decide. This is a great list for asking questions, I will
say that.
Rick S

Re: Asking for comparison to Photoshop, pretty please!

Ross Martinek-3
Mark is correct. I was a Photoshop user for years. Now I use GIMP, which has some similarities, especially in superficial appearance, to PS. This causes problems for those who switch from one to the other. For example, the paintbrush tool would seem, at first, very similar in both apps, but it isn’t, and the differences will catch you.

The programs have some of the same capabilities, but they are implemented differently. Each has some capabilities, or better capabilities, than the other.

What I would do is look at the manuals for each, concentrating on the capabilities you would need most, and making the comparison that way. For me, Adobe just got too greedy, and GIMP has all the capabilities I need. Perhaps that is the question you should ask: What capabilities that I need are best implemented in each program? No “review” you can read in less than an hour is likely to give you that.

The Book of GIMP, by LeCarme and Delvare, written for an earlier version than the current one, may be available in a local library, and if you are already familiar with PS, should provide you with a better idea of how GIMP handles things you want to do.

Ross

> On Dec 22, 2020, at 11:17 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Δημήτρης Γιάννος via gimp-user-list wrote:
>>   Oh, I also forgot the part about Photoshop being available for Tablets
>> and phones. Could there be similar plans for GIMP?
>
> There's an entry on the FAQ about the lack of Android/iOS support:
> https://www.gimp.org/docs/userfaq.html#will-you-release-gimp-for-android-or-ios-devices
>
> I can't really help with a comparison.  I only use GIMP occasionally, mostly for fairly basic things, and have never used Photoshop.
>
> I'd guess part of the problem with comparisons is that someone who uses Photoshop all the time (so already has a license for it) can just download GIMP for free, give it a go for a few hours and write a comparison.  But they'd perceive GIMP as difficult to use because it's not the same as Photoshop and they haven't got used to the differences. On the other hand, someone who happily uses GIMP all the time, and is really familiar with all its features, isn't so likely to pay for Photoshop just to compare it to GIMP.  But if they did, they'd probably encounter similar difficulties with Photoshop.  There may well be some reviews out there written by people who do use both regularly and can make a fair comparison, but the difficulty would be finding them (and knowing that you've found them!)
>
> --
> Mark.

Re: Asking for comparison to Photoshop, pretty please!

Dave Stevens
On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 12:38:35 -0500
"Rick Strong" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just a fan of FOSS and (GNU)Linux,
> Dimitris Giannos

something I don't understand from this is your intended use; as you
point out GIMP has its area of focus, is that a good fit?