Any way to set a layer to be semi transparent?

Any way to set a layer to be semi transparent?

rich2005
I'm an ex Photoshop user who does astrophotography (AP).  In AP we frequently
shoot a number of photos that we then stack in layers to reduce noise or create
color channels.  One problem with stacking is that the sky may move between
photos. (It's called field rotation.)  This can be corrected if the stack is
aligned properly.  While Photoshop has a number of automated stitching
techniques available, I can't find any of these in GIMP.

I could manually align layers in stacks if I could reduce the transparency of
one layer relative to the layer below it.  Is this possible?

--
Seldom (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Any way to set a layer to be semi transparent?

rich2005
Open the Layers dialog ("Windows/Dockable Dialogs/Layers"), left-click on the
relevant layer in the Layers dialog to make it active then set the "Opacity"
field near the top of the layers dialog.

--
programmer_ceds (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Any way to set a layer to be semi transparent?

Pat David
On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 5:30 AM Seldom <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm an ex Photoshop user who does astrophotography (AP).  In AP we
> frequently
> shoot a number of photos that we then stack in layers to reduce noise or
> create
> color channels.  One problem with stacking is that the sky may move between
> photos. (It's called field rotation.)  This can be corrected if the stack
> is
> aligned properly.  While Photoshop has a number of automated stitching
> techniques available, I can't find any of these in GIMP.

GIMP doesn't currently have an automated way to align images, but that
doesn't mean that there aren't ways available in Free Software.

A commonly used option is a script that comes with the panorama stitching
tool, Hugin: align_image_stack

You can read a little about using it (it's pretty simple) here:
https://patdavid.net/2013/01/focus-stacking-macro-photos-enfuse.html#hugin-align-images