Anchoring A Text Layer...

jts-2
Hello all.

            I'm new to GIMP and was working through some of the tutorials on
gimp.org.  I stumbled across a bit of a problem, however.  In the "Simple
Floating Logo" tut, it says:

  "You can use the move tool to move the selection where you want to have
it. You can anchor it at the white layer under it by clicking outside of the
selection with the move tool still active. You will notice that the pointer
changes into a down-arrow when you're outside of the floating selection and
into a 4-arrow when inside it. This is to give visual feedback which of the
two actions (moving or anchoring) a click will trigger."

My problem is that that just doesn't seem to be working for me, to anchor
that Text layer to the background.  Can anyone think of what I'm doing
wrong?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks and have a great week

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Anchoring A Text Layer...

Roel Schroeven-2
JTS wrote:

> Hello all.
>
>             I'm new to GIMP and was working through some of the tutorials on
> gimp.org.  I stumbled across a bit of a problem, however.  In the "Simple
> Floating Logo" tut, it says:
>
>   "You can use the move tool to move the selection where you want to have
> it. You can anchor it at the white layer under it by clicking outside of the
> selection with the move tool still active. You will notice that the pointer
> changes into a down-arrow when you're outside of the floating selection and
> into a 4-arrow when inside it. This is to give visual feedback which of the
> two actions (moving or anchoring) a click will trigger."
>
> My problem is that that just doesn't seem to be working for me, to anchor
> that Text layer to the background.  Can anyone think of what I'm doing
> wrong?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks and have a great week

Hi JTS,

You are not doing anything wrong in my opinion. This tutorial is very
old (according to archive.org, it was written in 1998 (between february
and december)). Since then, gimp has changed a lot and the "Text" tool
has been completely rewritten to be much (much) more powerful. So these
lines do not apply anymore.

The simplest way to reproduce the tutorial effect is, once your text is
in the desired position, to click Layer->Merge Down (or simply to press
CTRL-E), assuming you have a white background under it.

Best regards,

Olivier

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Problems with opening images

YU HON CHUNG Eddie
Dear all,

I am a new GIMP user. I just began using the programme but whenever I tried
to open an image and scrolled to locate a file in the dialogue box, the
attached error message will pop up as below and the programme would quit
then:

Pango-ERROR **.file shape.c:line 75(pango_shape): assertion failed:
(glyphs->num_glyphs>0) aborting ....

Can anybody advise me what to do? Thanks in advance

Eddie

Disclaimer
This above message, including any attachment, may contain personal,
confidential and/or proprietary information, and is intended only for
the person(s) or entity/entities to whom it was originally addressed.
Moreover, Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be
error-free.  Further transmission, dissemination or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon, such information by anyone
other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited and may contravene
local or international law.  All information and opinions given
therein are entirely those of the message sender(s) and are not
necessarily endorsed by the Vocational Training Council.