Advice on repairing photos

rich2005
Hi all,

New user to the forum but in need of advice on how to repair some photos.

Just got back from honeymoon and discovered the camera broken part way through
the trip and would like to try and recover some of the pictures.

Here are a couple of links to some of the photos.
https://goo.gl/photos/K8sVazdmNExXef2H8
https://goo.gl/photos/F2Ku8g6QuXXwDAqY8
https://goo.gl/photos/YCqCsrMwvBPUK5gC9

I think the sensor in the camera what broke as anything with a lot of white
bleeds out to the pixels near by.

If anyone has any advice on how to try and repair this kind of damage I would
greatly appreciate it.

Kind Regards,

heretic03 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Advice on repairing photos

Guy Stalnaker
Michael,

Other than using manual repair techniques (Healing Brush, Cloning, Heal
Selection) you may have few options. I took a look and there is no useful
data in the color channels. In essence, the image is "blown out" for the
pink/orange coloring and there's nothing there use to reconstruct what
should have been there. The tools I mentioned are designed to allow you to
use one part of an image on another part of an image (. The Clone tool is
likely your best options. Heal Selection will use image data adjacent to
the selection, which likely won't work well. The Healing Brush can use data
from other parts of the image, but the algorithm won't over-right data like
the Clone tool will.

You may find it to your advantage to use the Select By Color tool and
replace the pink/orange with more neutral colors for the immediate
background (grey for the elephant, green for the grass, etc.) before using
the clone tool. You can also use selections to constrain where the Clone
tool operates and masks to modify the visibility of the things you've done
to the image.

Explanations, if any of these are unfamiliar to you, for Clone, Heal,
Selecting, Mask are found here: https://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/

Also, I don't think the sensor is at fault for your camera. The images do
not show any type of pattern for the pink blow outs in the three
images--since the sensor remains fixed no matter what image you capture,
I'd expect issues to show in the same "place" on all three image. It may be
the image processing software.

But, there may be another consideration--some cameras provide a setting
where one taking images can see on the camera display blown highlights (my
Nikon cameras do this). Does your camera provide such an option and, if so,
does it also provide an option to SAVE such images (I do not know if my
Nikon cameras can do this)? If it does, and you inadvertently selectws such
an option, perhaps you can revert your camera to default settings? Also, if
the issue is not mechanical (sensor, etc.) perhaps you can flash the
camera's ROM to wipe out faulty processing software. That is another line
of action beyond the scope of this reply. Too, given the costs of cameras
today, it may be worth your time to simply purchase a new camera.

Wish I could offer more options.

Guy

Guy Stalnaker
[hidden email]

On Sat, May 6, 2017 at 9:54 AM, heretic03 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> New user to the forum but in need of advice on how to repair some photos.
>
> Just got back from honeymoon and discovered the camera broken part way
> through
> the trip and would like to try and recover some of the pictures.
>
> Here are a couple of links to some of the photos.
> https://goo.gl/photos/K8sVazdmNExXef2H8
> https://goo.gl/photos/F2Ku8g6QuXXwDAqY8
> https://goo.gl/photos/YCqCsrMwvBPUK5gC9
>
> I think the sensor in the camera what broke as anything with a lot of white
> bleeds out to the pixels near by.
>
> If anyone has any advice on how to try and repair this kind of damage I
> would
> greatly appreciate it.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Michael
>
> --
> heretic03 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Advice on repairing photos

Rick Strong-2
My sympathies on the poor images from such an important trip.

You can change the colour of the "pink" (pink on my monitor), but I think
your highlights are waaayyy blown out anyway. Perhaps a setting on your
camera got changed part way through your trip without you noticing it? Try
taking some sunlit photos in your backyard to see if you can replicate the
effect with normal settings at ISO 200, then a much higher ISO and/or
exposure compensation. The curves are strange.

You can select by colour in GIMP, try threshold 70, and change the colour of
the selection by using COLORS > Color Balance. Try adjusting the
"highlights" yellow and cyan sliders. It will still be ugly, but the pink
has gone.

Sorry, best I can do.

Rick S.

Re: Advice on repairing photos

Akkana Peck
heretic03 writes:

> Hi all,
>
> New user to the forum but in need of advice on how to repair some photos.
>
> Just got back from honeymoon and discovered the camera broken part way through
> the trip and would like to try and recover some of the pictures.
>
> Here are a couple of links to some of the photos.
> https://goo.gl/photos/K8sVazdmNExXef2H8
> https://goo.gl/photos/F2Ku8g6QuXXwDAqY8
> https://goo.gl/photos/YCqCsrMwvBPUK5gC9
>
> I think the sensor in the camera what broke as anything with a lot of white
> bleeds out to the pixels near by.

I don't have anything to add to the good advice you've already
gotten on techniques for fixing the photos. But it may not be a
broken sensor. I once had a camera that mysteriously started
producing images like that, even in videos (except in my case
the color was green rather than magenta).

It turned out I had somehow gotten my Canon into a mode called
"Color Replace" (I probably hit the wrong button while exploring
menus). Once I realized what had happened, I turned off Color
Replace and the camera worked fine after that.

        ...Akkana

Advice on repairing photos

rich2005
Thanks for all the advice. The camera errors regardless of the settings I choose
so looks like the camera is dead.

I'll take a look at trying out the advice and see how I get on.

--
heretic03 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)