A problem

Bob Letterman
I have used Gimp for years. I just bought a new I-Mac. Best Buy transferred the data to the new, OS Catalina I-Mac from my older I-Mac. Gimp is on there but, it won’t let me open desktop where, of course, all my photos are kept?

Please help????

Bob Letterman

Re: A problem

Users mailing list
System Preferences → Security & Privacy → Privacy ; open the padlock and enable full disk access.

> On 30 Mar 2020, at 23:36, Bob Letterman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have used Gimp for years. I just bought a new I-Mac. Best Buy transferred the data to the new, OS Catalina I-Mac from my older I-Mac. Gimp is on there but, it won’t let me open desktop where, of course, all my photos are kept?
>
> Please help????
>
> Bob Letterman
Maurizio Loreti  --  [hidden email]

Re: A problem

On the desktop? That's probably not the best place. Unless that is a
mac-ism that I don't understand.

Cheers,

Cliff

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 9:24 PM Bob Letterman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have used Gimp for years. I just bought a new I-Mac. Best Buy
> transferred the data to the new, OS Catalina I-Mac from my older I-Mac.
> Gimp is on there but, it won’t let me open desktop where, of course, all my
> photos are kept?
>
> Please help????
>
> Bob Letterman

My Amazon author page : https://amazon.com/author/cliffpratt
My Facebook author page : https://www.facebook.com/cliffprattauthor
My Search on Kobo : https://www.kobo.com/search?query=Cliff+Pratt

Re: A problem

Users mailing list
Apple invented the desktop
🍎

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 4:24 AM Cliff Pratt via gimp-user-list <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On the desktop? That's probably not the best place. Unless that is a
> mac-ism that I don't understand.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff
>
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 9:24 PM Bob Letterman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I have used Gimp for years. I just bought a new I-Mac. Best Buy
> > transferred the data to the new, OS Catalina I-Mac from my older I-Mac.
> > Gimp is on there but, it won’t let me open desktop where, of course, all
> my
> > photos are kept?
> >
> > Please help????
> >
> > Bob Letterman

> My Amazon author page : https://amazon.com/author/cliffpratt
> My Facebook author page : https://www.facebook.com/cliffprattauthor
> My Search on Kobo : https://www.kobo.com/search?query=Cliff+Pratt

Re: A problem

Ofnuts-2
On 03/04/2020 17:32, Daniel Smith via gimp-user-list wrote:
> Apple invented the desktop
> 🍎

And they didn't patent it?

Re: A problem

Users mailing list
I was just kind of kidding because I’m sure people thought of it before
that but that was kind of the thing that says Apple apart what is the whole
creation of this interface that people could go and put their file
somewhere and that you would have these different folder sitting right
there on the “desktop“.
And I think that was all part of the lawsuit between Apple and Microsoft
over “windows”.

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 3:55 PM Ofnuts <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03/04/2020 17:32, Daniel Smith via gimp-user-list wrote:
> > Apple invented the desktop
> > 🍎
> >
> And they didn't patent it?

Re: A problem

Maybe they did invent the desktop. But that doesn't answer my question. I
find it strange that anyone would store their photos on the desktop. Is
that a Mac thing?

Cheers,

Cliff

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 4:32 AM Daniel Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Apple invented the desktop
> 🍎
>

> On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 4:24 AM Cliff Pratt via gimp-user-list <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On the desktop? That's probably not the best place. Unless that is a
>> mac-ism that I don't understand.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Cliff
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 9:24 PM Bob Letterman <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > I have used Gimp for years. I just bought a new I-Mac. Best Buy
>> > transferred the data to the new, OS Catalina I-Mac from my older I-Mac.
>> > Gimp is on there but, it won’t let me open desktop where, of course,
>> all my
>> > photos are kept?
>> >
>> > Please help????
>> >
>> > Bob Letterman
>> >

>> --
>> My Amazon author page : https://amazon.com/author/cliffpratt
>> My Facebook author page : https://www.facebook.com/cliffprattauthor
>> My Search on Kobo : https://www.kobo.com/search?query=Cliff+Pratt

My Amazon author page : https://amazon.com/author/cliffpratt
My Facebook author page : https://www.facebook.com/cliffprattauthor
My Search on Kobo : https://www.kobo.com/search?query=Cliff+Pratt

Re: A problem

I see, I think. Personally I have nothing on my desktop. I have only the
equivalent of that band at the bottom of the Mac screen that expands your
app icons. Dunno what it's called.

But I'm going to call 'off topic'. Nice chat though.

Cheers,

Cliff

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 10:11 AM Daniel Smith via gimp-user-list <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was just kind of kidding because I’m sure people thought of it before
> that but that was kind of the thing that says Apple apart what is the whole
> creation of this interface that people could go and put their file
> somewhere and that you would have these different folder sitting right
> there on the “desktop“.
> And I think that was all part of the lawsuit between Apple and Microsoft
> over “windows”.
>

> On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 3:55 PM Ofnuts <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 03/04/2020 17:32, Daniel Smith via gimp-user-list wrote:
> > > Apple invented the desktop
> > > 🍎
> > >
> > And they didn't patent it?

My Amazon author page : https://amazon.com/author/cliffpratt
My Facebook author page : https://www.facebook.com/cliffprattauthor
My Search on Kobo : https://www.kobo.com/search?query=Cliff+Pratt

Re: A problem

On Fri, 2020-04-03 at 10:32 -0500, Daniel Smith via gimp-user-list
wrote:
> Apple invented the desktop
> 🍎

Actually they pinched it from Xerox, who did invent it.

Unlike Sun and AT&T, developing the Open Look desktop a while later,
who licensed it from Xerox (although i don't know the terms of the
deal).

ankh

Full time slave in voluntary servitude

Re: A problem

Users mailing list
Yeah I meant general use

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 4:48 PM Liam R E Quin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2020-04-03 at 10:32 -0500, Daniel Smith via gimp-user-list
> wrote:
> > Apple invented the desktop
> > 🍎
>
> Actually they pinched it from Xerox, who did invent it.
>
> Unlike Sun and AT&T, developing the Open Look desktop a while later,
> who licensed it from Xerox (although i don't know the terms of the
> deal).
>
> ankh
>
> --
> Liam Quin - web slave for https://www.fromoldbooks.org/
>
> Full time slave in voluntary servitude

Re: A problem

Liam R E Quin
On Fri, 2020-04-03 at 19:31 -0500, Daniel Smith wrote:
> Yeah I meant general use

go investigate the Xerox Star. It was intended to be at least as
general as the Macintosh.

> On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 4:48 PM Liam R E Quin <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2020-04-03 at 10:32 -0500, Daniel Smith via gimp-user-list
> > wrote:
> > > Apple invented the desktop
> > > 🍎
> >
> > Actually they pinched it from Xerox, who did invent it.
> >
> > Unlike Sun and AT&T, developing the Open Look desktop a while
> > later,
> > who licensed it from Xerox (although i don't know the terms of the
> > deal).
> >
> > ankh
> >
> > --
> > Liam Quin - web slave for https://www.fromoldbooks.org/
> >
> > Full time slave in voluntary servitude

Re: A problem

Michael Schumacher

On 4/3/20 11:11 PM, Cliff Pratt via gimp-user-list wrote:

> Maybe they did invent the desktop. But that doesn't answer my question. I
> find it strange that anyone would store their photos on the desktop. Is
> that a Mac thing?

Regardless of the platform, some people use the desktops as there main
file and folder storage location - I've seen desktops spanning multiple
screens, with icons everywhere, no free space left.

Other people use dedicated folders, sometimes even those the platform
suggests for these tasks.

It's mostly personal choice, like e.g. replying above or below quoted
text in mails :)

Re: A problem

Ross Martinek-3
I’ve seen the same thing as Michael. However, at least in the Mac OS, my experience is that it’s a bad idea for two reasons:

1. It’s very easy to inadvertently rename, move, misplace, or delete a file. I only keep a few, generally temporary files on my desktop, files I intend to throw away when I’m done with them. Even so, I’ve managed to do all of these things at one time or another.

2. It seems that in the Finder (the real name and function of the so-called “desktop”) is really a kind of limbo as far as the computer’s file structure is concerned. The Mac OS is designed as a hierarchical file system, and should be used as such. When a file is stored on the desktop (i.e., the Finder), it is more likely to get lost in a crash or a disk problem. I have also experienced this first hand. This is also a particular problem if there are multiple user’s accounts.

Admittedly, other than inadvertent renaming, misplacing, or deletion, these problems tend to be rare. They do happen.

When files are transferred to a new computer, files on the desktop are more likely to be misplaced, or their address lost by the Finder, or corrupted. The icon my remain on the desktop, but the actual file location isn’t “known” by the Finder. The Mac OS is designed as a hierarchical file system, and should be used as such.

I think the best and easiest solution to the original problem is to restore the files from a backup. That was what I did when I had a similar problem. That was when someone with far more knowledge of the Mac interface, a developer, told me it was unwise to keep important files on the desktop.

Ross