3D Text to infinity

rich2005
Hello,

Im trying to create a 3D text that appears to go off into the distance into
infinity. I followed this tutorial at youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfeIBK1k_PY

and tried to create a vanishing point at the bottom left of canvas. What I got
wasnt at all what I hoped for. Please see attachment image.

Im hoping the image gives a clear suggestion of what im trying to achieve: a
true 3D text with defined thickness, stretching to seeming infinity (all the way
to a dot) off on any angle that I choose, not simply straight vertical down.

Ive searched for a tutorial like this for weeks but I must be using the wrong
search wording. Can anyone point me to a tute or explain this process?

Thank you for reading,

Logan

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/600/original/LONG_3D.jpg

--
Logansfury (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

3D Text to infinity

rich2005
>Hello,
>
>Im trying to create a 3D text that appears to go off into the distance
>into infinity. I followed this tutorial at youtube:
...snip...
>and tried to create a vanishing point at the bottom left of canvas.
>What I got wasnt at all what I hoped for. Please see attachment image.

More than one way to get that effect, but this one is relatively straight
forward.

Using an old script pathblend http://registry.gimp.org/node/26195

The examples there are long gone, so download the script put it in your Gimp
profile C:\Users\your-name\.gimp-2.8\scripts (assuming a Windows user). Find it
in the Filters -> Render menu.

How to use it. A quick video demo https://youtu.be/uQ-WKaFJk2I 4 and a half
mins.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/601/original/texteffect.jpg

3D Text to infinity

>a true 3D text with defined thickness, stretching to seeming
>infinity (all the way to a dot) off on any angle that I choose, not
>simply straight vertical down.

Guilty of not reading your post correctly - sorry.

So you can forget my previous post.

The problem is even when the text is well spaced out, the rays merge into each
other, the more off vertical, the less the differentiation between letters. That
is probably what you have encountered. Probably a vector graphics application
might be best but at the moment lack of success.

Re: 3D Text to infinity

On 06/04/17 02:52, Logansfury wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Im trying to create a 3D text that appears to go off into the distance into
> infinity. I followed this tutorial at youtube:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfeIBK1k_PY
>
> and tried to create a vanishing point at the bottom left of canvas. What I got
> wasnt at all what I hoped for. Please see attachment image.
>
> Im hoping the image gives a clear suggestion of what im trying to achieve: a
> true 3D text with defined thickness, stretching to seeming infinity (all the way
> to a dot) off on any angle that I choose, not simply straight vertical down.
>
> Ive searched for a tutorial like this for weeks but I must be using the wrong
> search wording. Can anyone point me to a tute or explain this process?
>
> Thank you for reading,
>
> Logan
>
> Attachments:
> * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/600/original/LONG_3D.jpg

Different technique: http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11318

3D Text to infinity

rich2005
>Different technique: http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11318

That is all very well for short extrusions, Use Gimp or Inkscape to interpolate
two similar sized paths. Inkscape is marginally easier.

However, for a long extrusion vanishing to infinity, the extrusions for each
character very quickly merge into one.

Without spending too much time on it a ray-tracing application might give a
result. This making the extrusion in ArtOfIllusion (AOI) and finishing off in
Gimp. Blender might be a better bet than (AOI).

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/602/original/extrude.jpg

3D Text to infinity

rich2005
>That is all very well for short extrusions, Use Gimp or Inkscape to
>interpolate two similar sized paths. Inkscape is marginally easier.
>
>However, for a long extrusion vanishing to infinity, the extrusions
>for each character very quickly merge into one.
>
>Without spending too much time on it a ray-tracing application might
>give a result. This making the extrusion in ArtOfIllusion (AOI) and
>finishing off in Gimp. Blender might be a better bet than (AOI).

Hello Rich,

Your example picture looks perfect! Did you work from a tutorial to accomplish
that, and if so do you have the URL?

If not, would you mind outlining the steps you used? Im about to search for both
the softwares you suggested.

--
Logansfury (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

3D Text to infinity

rich2005
>Hello Rich,
>
>Your example picture looks perfect! Did you work from a tutorial to
>accomplish that, and if so do you have the URL?
>
>If not, would you mind outlining the steps you used? Im about to
>search for both the softwares you suggested.

Failing of mine, I never save anything. ArtOfIllusion is a java application, so
you do need java installed if using Windows. Which is why I mentioned Blender,
there is a large community of Blender users who might help.

Briefly

Make some text with a large thickness. http://i.imgur.com/Anz1eZO.jpg

Move / Rotate the object and camera to get a suitable camera view.
http://i.imgur.com/OetUlkL.jpg

Throw in some more lights, maybe add a texture although can be left grey and
coloured in in Gimp: http://i.imgur.com/IwdXmcV.jpg

Render as a single image with a transparent background
http://i.imgur.com/6pWpFNe.jpg

Minute 30 secs to render at that size, save as a png. Ready to open in Gimp and
finish off. http://i.imgur.com/M4t9RpS.jpg

Not easy for a beginner, only something I drag out when all else fails.

3D Text to infinity

rich2005
Between the instruction steps and the images youve provided im sure ill be able
to render something im happy with.

Thank you very, very much for taking the time to create this tutorial for me.

Sincerely,

Logan

--
Logansfury (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)