32bit float image opens white?

Casey Connor-2
I just calculated a median image from a stack using gmic 2.0.0 on the
CLI. Worked fine, and the result image is 32bit float:

$ identify downstream_hi_median.tif
myfile.tif TIFF 3456x5184 3456x5184+0+0 32-bit sRGB 286.7MB 0.000u 0:00.000

When I open it in gimp (2.9.5 -- commit c175afbc) it opens as all-white.
The layer preview thumbnail is fine, though, and changing precision to
16bit integer the image appears correctly.

Is this bug known to anyone? I couldn't google anything up on it.

Thanks!

-c

32bit float image opens white?

rich2005
>I just calculated a median image from a stack using gmic 2.0.0 on the
>CLI. Worked fine, and the result image is 32bit float:
>
>$ identify downstream_hi_median.tif
>myfile.tif TIFF 3456x5184 3456x5184+0+0 32-bit sRGB 286.7MB 0.000u
>0:00.000
>
>When I open it in gimp (2.9.5 -- commit c175afbc) it opens as
>all-white.
>The layer preview thumbnail is fine, though, and changing precision to
>16bit integer the image appears correctly.
>
>Is this bug known to anyone? I couldn't google anything up on it.
>
>Thanks!
>
>-c

Maybe enable

Edit -> Preferences -> Image Import -> Promote imported images to floating point
precision

Re: 32bit float image opens white?

Partha Bagchi-2
Is it possible to get hold of this image to test it?

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 10:53 PM, Casey Connor <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just calculated a median image from a stack using gmic 2.0.0 on the CLI.
> Worked fine, and the result image is 32bit float:
>
> $ identify downstream_hi_median.tif
> myfile.tif TIFF 3456x5184 3456x5184+0+0 32-bit sRGB 286.7MB 0.000u 0:00.000
>
> When I open it in gimp (2.9.5 -- commit c175afbc) it opens as all-white.
> The layer preview thumbnail is fine, though, and changing precision to
> 16bit integer the image appears correctly.
>
> Is this bug known to anyone? I couldn't google anything up on it.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -c

Re: 32bit float image opens white?

Casey Connor-2

> Is it possible to get hold of this image to test it?

Sure, here's one -- http://lacinato.com/pub/gimp/wilber_median.tif

It happens on any image; and it turns out it's not just white, it's some
kind of clipped version of the image, apparently. Changing to any
floating point format doesn't help; changing to an integer format makes
it appear correctly. Note that the layer thumbnail appears correctly
(presumably it's converted to an integer format when generated.)

How I made and checked the image:

$ wget https://www.gimp.org/images/frontpage/wilber-big.png
$ gmic -median_files w\*.png -o wilber_median.tif
$ identify wilber_median.tif
wilber_median.tif TIFF 300x224 300x224+0+0 32-bit sRGB 1.077MB 0.000u
0:00.000
$ gimp wilber_median.tif

Re: 32bit float image opens white?

Casey Connor-2
Well, I'll be darned if I can make it happen now. It happened about 40
times in a row, I got the example all ready, it happened with that as
expected, uploaded it, sent the message to the list, and it magically
never happens. Rebooted, still doesn't happen. Also doesn't happen with
all the images I was seeing it with yesterday.

I did nothing at all in gimp except open the test images and convert
between precisions. E.g. no changing of settings or moving of windows or
doing anything else in the OS in general. The "perceptual gamma" vs
"linear light" setting was probably the only thing that changed, but
nothing I do with it now seems to make the bug come back.

Tried after removing my .gimp*/ and .config/GIMP directories, no change.

So... Nevermind, I guess? :-) I'll let you know if I see it again. It's
just weird that it happened repeatedly and predictably over a couple
days, and then it suddenly stops... the magic of asking the mailing
list, I suppose. :-)

-c