2.8.22 is wacky

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

2.8.22 is wacky

Nate Owens
*Selecting the move tool always selects the path tool instead*
Selecting the path tool also opens the path tool
*How to open the move tool?*

*In earlier versions the text along a path tool worked great...*
you could *choose the baseline for the path*, even run it along a circle
Then you could save or export the results cleanly as xcf or other formats
Now the only sensible way to do something remotely resembling this is to
use the cage transform tool and then it is a nightmare with many steps to
get the file saved or exported in any usable way

*Is there a currently functional stable version of Gimp with an accurate
updated user manual?*

I tried Gimp 2.9.? and it was even worse.

Gimp was once my favorite replacement for Photoshop (Adobe is ultra
expensive, and now they rent their software by month or year at ridiculous
prices)

*What are the options to retrieve a usable Gimp?*

*Hope lives on... *

*Nate Owens*
www.nateowens.com
[hidden email]
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: 2.8.22 is wacky

Michael Schumacher


On 05/25/2017 05:17 AM, Nate Owens wrote:

> *Selecting the move tool always selects the path tool instead*
> Selecting the path tool also opens the path tool
> *How to open the move tool?*

How are you trying to select the tool - keyboard? mouse? Some other
pointing device? Something else entirely?

> *In earlier versions the text along a path tool worked great...*

Um... there never was a Text along Path tool, actually (always just the
"create a path which attempts to follow another path, and is shaped lite
the letters of the text".

> you could *choose the baseline for the path*, even run it along a circle
> Then you could save or export the results cleanly as xcf or other formats
> Now the only sensible way to do something remotely resembling this is to
> use the cage transform tool and then it is a nightmare with many steps to
> get the file saved or exported in any usable way

You could be remembering something different, maybe third-party plug-in.
If you still got a XCF file with text shaped in this way, it would be
good if you can share it. Also, anything you know about when this was
possible can be helpful.

> *Is there a currently functional stable version of Gimp with an accurate
> updated user manual?*

The current stable version is GIMP 2.8, and the user manual at
http://docs.gimp.org/en/ is updated daily from the contents of its
version-tracking repository. It is still likely not complete, and I'd
like to know what you are missing the most there.

What we are currently lacking is up-to-date released packages of the
user manual.

> I tried Gimp 2.9.? and it was even worse.

GIMP 2.9 is a development version, and to really get the most of it you
should follow development closely and try to keep your 2.9.x version up
to date.

It isn't a stable release, and thus not actually intended for production
use, but I am aware that many people use it to great success.

> *What are the options to retrieve a usable Gimp?*

Tell us what doesn't work (like you did here), and then help us to
figure out why it doesn't work for you.


--
Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: 2.8.22 is wacky

Steve Kinney


On 05/25/2017 02:01 AM, Michael Schumacher wrote:
>
>
> On 05/25/2017 05:17 AM, Nate Owens wrote:


>> *In earlier versions the text along a path tool worked great...*

[ ... ]

> You could be remembering something different, maybe third-party plug-in.
> If you still got a XCF file with text shaped in this way, it would be
> good if you can share it. Also, anything you know about when this was
> possible can be helpful.

The GIMP's path along text tool works for me, but only in limited
contexts where big transformations are not wanted.

I use Inkscape to do serious text manipulation.  It's the Right Thing To
Do:  Fonts are vector files, so use a vector editor.  Inkscape exports
clean crisp PNG files at any scale, just drop them into the GIMP and
viola.

[ ... ]

>> *What are the options to retrieve a usable Gimp?*
>
> Tell us what doesn't work (like you did here), and then help us to
> figure out why it doesn't work for you.

I'm using GIMP 2.8.10 on a Debian family Linux box, no wackiness noted.
The roommmate has the latest stable build in the 2.8 series on Windows 7
or 10, no wackiness there either.


_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: 2.8.22 is wacky

Nate Owens
I downloaded Gimp 2.6.12, all working fine
I'm using Windows 10 64bit
The computer has good graphics (runs ZBrush, etc)

Life is to short to jump through all these hoops

Also downloaded InkScape... looks good, going through some of the tuts

To answer the question how I select the move tool... 2 ways =
1. click the icon for the move tool in toolbox
2. do the keyboard shortcut
both opened the draw path tool
In version 2.6.12 it works as it should

Obviously (from this thread) there is an align to path tool (even shown in
the manual)

Thanks for the feedback

*Nate Owens*
www.nateowens.com
[hidden email]



On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 2:55 AM, Steve Kinney <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> On 05/25/2017 02:01 AM, Michael Schumacher wrote:
> >
> >
> > On 05/25/2017 05:17 AM, Nate Owens wrote:
>
>
> >> *In earlier versions the text along a path tool worked great...*
>
> [ ... ]
>
> > You could be remembering something different, maybe third-party plug-in.
> > If you still got a XCF file with text shaped in this way, it would be
> > good if you can share it. Also, anything you know about when this was
> > possible can be helpful.
>
> The GIMP's path along text tool works for me, but only in limited
> contexts where big transformations are not wanted.
>
> I use Inkscape to do serious text manipulation.  It's the Right Thing To
> Do:  Fonts are vector files, so use a vector editor.  Inkscape exports
> clean crisp PNG files at any scale, just drop them into the GIMP and
> viola.
>
> [ ... ]
>
> >> *What are the options to retrieve a usable Gimp?*
> >
> > Tell us what doesn't work (like you did here), and then help us to
> > figure out why it doesn't work for you.
>
> I'm using GIMP 2.8.10 on a Debian family Linux box, no wackiness noted.
> The roommmate has the latest stable build in the 2.8 series on Windows 7
> or 10, no wackiness there either.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> gimp-user-list mailing list
> List address:    [hidden email]
> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
>
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: 2.8.22 is wacky

Michael Schumacher


On 05/26/2017 01:52 AM, Nate Owens wrote:

> To answer the question how I select the move tool... 2 ways =
> 1. click the icon for the move tool in toolbox
> 2. do the keyboard shortcut
> both opened the draw path tool

Sure that it is actually the Path tool, and not the Move tool in move
Path mode?

> Obviously (from this thread) there is an align to path tool (even shown in
> the manual)

Align to path? Not sure if I'm following... can you provide the URL of
its page in the user manual?


P.S. as you've now got 2.6.12 again, can you check if you had remebered
the following correctly?

> you could *choose the baseline for the path*, even run it along a circle
> Then you could save or export the results cleanly as xcf or other formats


--
Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: 2.8.22 is wacky

Nate Owens
*Text ALONG path url* = https://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/gimp-tool-text.html
scroll down.
Scroll down there is also an image demonstrating it's position in the Layer
menu selection
There is an image here, not to say it will show up in the mail list =
"Figure 13.177. The Text to Path command..."

Text along Path

This option is enabled only if a path
<https://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/gimp-using-paths.html> exists. When your text
is created, then create or import a path and make it active. If you create
your path before the text, the path becomes invisible and you have to make
it visible in the Path Dialog.

This command is also available from the “Layer” menu:

*Figure 13.177.  The Text to Path command among text commands in the Layer
menu*
[image: The Text to Path command among text commands in the Layer menu]

This group of options appears only if a layer text exists.


*Nate Owens*
www.nateowens.com
[hidden email]



On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 8:28 PM, Michael Schumacher <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> On 05/26/2017 01:52 AM, Nate Owens wrote:
>
> > To answer the question how I select the move tool... 2 ways =
> > 1. click the icon for the move tool in toolbox
> > 2. do the keyboard shortcut
> > both opened the draw path tool
>
> Sure that it is actually the Path tool, and not the Move tool in move
> Path mode?
>
> > Obviously (from this thread) there is an align to path tool (even shown
> in
> > the manual)
>
> Align to path? Not sure if I'm following... can you provide the URL of
> its page in the user manual?
>
>
> P.S. as you've now got 2.6.12 again, can you check if you had remebered
> the following correctly?
>
> > you could *choose the baseline for the path*, even run it along a circle
> > Then you could save or export the results cleanly as xcf or other formats
>
>
> --
> Regards,
> Michael
> GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
> _______________________________________________
> gimp-user-list mailing list
> List address:    [hidden email]
> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
>
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: 2.8.22 is wacky

Steve Kinney


On 05/26/2017 12:05 AM, Nate Owens wrote:

> *Text ALONG path url* = https://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/gimp-tool-text.html
> scroll down.
> Scroll down there is also an image demonstrating it's position in the Layer
> menu selection
> There is an image here, not to say it will show up in the mail list =
> "Figure 13.177. The Text to Path command..."
>
> Text along Path
>
> This option is enabled only if a path
> <https://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/gimp-using-paths.html> exists. When your text
> is created, then create or import a path and make it active. If you create
> your path before the text, the path becomes invisible and you have to make
> it visible in the Path Dialog.
>
> This command is also available from the “Layer” menu:
>
> *Figure 13.177.  The Text to Path command among text commands in the Layer
> menu*
> [image: The Text to Path command among text commands in the Layer menu]
>
> This group of options appears only if a layer text exists.

Hmm.  The "Text to path" command is a semi-hidden option in recent
versions of the GIMP:  Left click an active text layer, and it's one of
the menu items.  I use it quite frequently, to get a path I can use to
add a stroke to a transparent layer under the text to create an outline.

Note that many of the toolbox items including move and transform tools
include a mode setting in the Tool Options dialog, and can be set to
work with image layers, selections or paths.  A big deficiency in the
Scale, Rotate, Shear and Perspective tools when applied to paths, is
that they present a draggable grid the size of the whole image canvas,
not a box around the currently active path.  But they do work.

:o)




_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: 2.8.22 is wacky

Ofnuts-2
On 05/26/17 07:07, Steve Kinney wrote:
>   A big deficiency in the
> Scale, Rotate, Shear and Perspective tools when applied to paths, is
> that they present a draggable grid the size of the whole image canvas,
> not a box around the currently active path.  But they do work.
I trick I often use is to link the path and some layer (often, the layer
I used to create the path), and apply the transform tool using the layer.
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: 2.8.22 is wacky

Michael Schumacher
In reply to this post by Nate Owens
On 05/26/2017 06:05 AM, Nate Owens wrote:

> On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 8:28 PM, Michael Schumacher
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Align to path? Not sure if I'm following... can you provide the URL
>> of its page in the user manual?
>>
>>
>> P.S. as you've now got 2.6.12 again, can you check if you had
>> remebered the following correctly?
>>
>>> you could *choose the baseline for the path*, even run it along a
>>> circle Then you could save or export the results cleanly as xcf
>>> or other formats

> *Text ALONG path url* =
> https://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/gimp-tool-text.html scroll down. Scroll
> down there is also an image demonstrating it's position in the Layer
> menu selection

Ok, so we are referring to the same functionality.

I'm not aware of any significant functional differences between 2.6 and
2.8.

Is this thread about not finding how to do this, because UI locations
have been changed?


--
Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: 2.8.22 is wacky

Nate Owens
This thread is about the statement that there was no such function in Gimp,
and the request that I provide a link to the mention of this in the Gimp
manual, which I provided.

My problem regarding the difference between 2.8 and 2.6  was referenced in
the original message regarding the inability to select the move tool in 2.8
(which resulted in selection of the path tool instead of the move tool) I
think that I adequately stated that that inability, present in 2.8
functions as it should in 2.6

Seems that perhaps those coding Gimp are probably not the ones who coded
the earlier versions, or apparently are unaware for some reason of the
functions or the content of the manual.

I can only tell how it works for me - I select the tools the same way in
both versions, with the results as described
For those reasons, I am using 2.6 as the version that functions for me

Not sure I can explain it any better than this

*Nate Owens*
www.nateowens.com
[hidden email]



On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 8:02 AM, Michael Schumacher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 05/26/2017 06:05 AM, Nate Owens wrote:
>
> > On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 8:28 PM, Michael Schumacher
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >> Align to path? Not sure if I'm following... can you provide the URL
> >> of its page in the user manual?
> >>
> >>
> >> P.S. as you've now got 2.6.12 again, can you check if you had
> >> remebered the following correctly?
> >>
> >>> you could *choose the baseline for the path*, even run it along a
> >>> circle Then you could save or export the results cleanly as xcf
> >>> or other formats
>
> > *Text ALONG path url* =
> > https://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/gimp-tool-text.html scroll down. Scroll
> > down there is also an image demonstrating it's position in the Layer
> > menu selection
>
> Ok, so we are referring to the same functionality.
>
> I'm not aware of any significant functional differences between 2.6 and
> 2.8.
>
> Is this thread about not finding how to do this, because UI locations
> have been changed?
>
>
> --
> Regards,
> Michael
> GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
> _______________________________________________
> gimp-user-list mailing list
> List address:    [hidden email]
> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
>
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: 2.8.22 is wacky

Carol Spears-2
On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 12:02 PM, Nate Owens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> My problem regarding the difference between 2.8 and 2.6  was referenced in
> the original message regarding the inability to select the move tool in 2.8
> (which resulted in selection of the path tool instead of the move tool) I
> think that I adequately stated that that inability, present in 2.8
> functions as it should in 2.6
>
It used to be that when a guide is grabbed from the rulers, the tool
would change from whatever to the move tool.

That no longer happens.  I filed this bug report:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=765023

I miss the old behavior very much.  I am undoing many unintentional
paint strokes now.

I console myself thinking that the developers have been pestered to
this unreasonable end by some nefarious and wrong thinking people.

carol
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: 2.8.22 is wacky

Nate Owens
Exactly why I reverted to 2.6 - seems that the later revisions have bugs
(or worse)?

*Nate Owens*
www.nateowens.com
[hidden email]


On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 12:02 AM, Carol Spears <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 12:02 PM, Nate Owens <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > My problem regarding the difference between 2.8 and 2.6  was referenced
> in
> > the original message regarding the inability to select the move tool in
> 2.8
> > (which resulted in selection of the path tool instead of the move tool) I
> > think that I adequately stated that that inability, present in 2.8
> > functions as it should in 2.6
> >
> It used to be that when a guide is grabbed from the rulers, the tool
> would change from whatever to the move tool.
>
> That no longer happens.  I filed this bug report:
> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=765023
>
> I miss the old behavior very much.  I am undoing many unintentional
> paint strokes now.
>
> I console myself thinking that the developers have been pestered to
> this unreasonable end by some nefarious and wrong thinking people.
>
> carol
>
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: 2.8.22 is wacky

Liam R E Quin
In reply to this post by Nate Owens
On Wed, 2017-05-24 at 23:17 -0400, Nate Owens wrote:
> *Selecting the move tool always selects the path tool instead*


When I click on the move tool icon (sort of like a plus sign with
sharpened ends) I get the move tool.

When I select the path tool icon from the toolbox I get the path tool.

> *In earlier versions the text along a path tool worked great...*

It still works here. Right-click on the text layer in the layers
dialogue and choose "text along path".

> *Is there a currently functional stable version of Gimp with an
> accurate updated user manual?*
In which language? 2.8 should be OK.
In addition, contributions and bug reports are welcomed.

>
> I tried Gimp 2.9.? and it was even worse.
>
> Gimp was once my favorite replacement for Photoshop

GIMP is not trying to be a replacement for Adobe PhotoShop  - it's
trying to be an image editor.

Hope this helps,

Liam [slave ankh on IRC]

--
Liam R E Quin <[hidden email]>
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: 2.8.22 is wacky

Nate Owens
Which OS? Mac, Win, Umb.... ????

I tried again and again. I do image editing, illustration for over 40
years, some photo editing, but I used Photoshop and Corel painter and often
ZBrush and Rhino for 3D work (a lot of that for perspective setup, like the
interior of a full dining room with all the furniture - allowed different
viewpoints for that and vehicles, etc.) I kept a full arsenal of tools
after I went all digital in mid 90's.

+ http://www.nateowens.com/illustration2.html
+ https://www.flickr.com/photos/nateowens/albums
+ https://www.facebook.com/NateOwens.art

*Nate Owens*
www.nateowens.com
[hidden email]



On Sun, May 28, 2017 at 2:11 AM, Liam R E Quin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2017-05-24 at 23:17 -0400, Nate Owens wrote:
> > *Selecting the move tool always selects the path tool instead*
>
>
> When I click on the move tool icon (sort of like a plus sign with
> sharpened ends) I get the move tool.
>
> When I select the path tool icon from the toolbox I get the path tool.
>
> > *In earlier versions the text along a path tool worked great...*
>
> It still works here. Right-click on the text layer in the layers
> dialogue and choose "text along path".
>
> > *Is there a currently functional stable version of Gimp with an
> > accurate updated user manual?*
> In which language? 2.8 should be OK.
> In addition, contributions and bug reports are welcomed.
>
> >
> > I tried Gimp 2.9.? and it was even worse.
> >
> > Gimp was once my favorite replacement for Photoshop
>
> GIMP is not trying to be a replacement for Adobe PhotoShop  - it's
> trying to be an image editor.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Liam [slave ankh on IRC]
>
> --
> Liam R E Quin <[hidden email]>
>
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: 2.8.22 is wacky

Joel Rees
On Sun, May 28, 2017 at 5:19 PM, Nate Owens <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Which OS? Mac, Win, Umb.... ????
>
> I tried again and again.
>[...]

I think what is being said is that maybe you are seeing a new feature and not
understanding it.

Have you posted screen shots of the behavior? Maybe temporarily on flikr?

--
Joel Rees

One of these days I'll get someone to pay me
to design a language that combines the best of Forth and C.
Then I'll be able to leap wide instruction sets with a single #ifdef,
run faster than a speeding infinite loop with a #define,
and stop all integer size bugs with a bare cast.

More of my delusions:
http://reiisi.blogspot.com/2017/05/do-not-pay-modern-danegeld-ransomware.html
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/p/novels-i-am-writing.html
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: 2.8.22 is wacky

Users mailing list
In reply to this post by Nate Owens
>It used to be that when a guide is grabbed from the rulers, the tool
>would change from whatever to the move tool.

>That no longer happens.  I filed this bug report:
>https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=765023

>I miss the old behavior very much.  I am undoing many unintentional
>paint strokes now.

>I console myself thinking that the developers have been pestered to
>this unreasonable end by some nefarious and wrong thinking people.

I am sorry for being one of those "many" (as stated by  Michael Natterer      [GIMP developer]
from above-referenced Bug-report ) users who complained about the feature you liked.

I would like to explain why I, personally, was desirous of having the behaviour change.

Many times, I would be using the Free Select tool to select an odd shaped region, part of
which was near the edge of the image (or at least the edge of the window, if zoomed in).
So often, I would be in the middle of entering many, many points to bound the selection,
and having spent much time doing so, would accidentally place a point too close to
the edge of the window, and instead of placing another point in the Free Select tool,
I was suddenly dragging a guide out from the ruler, and had just lost ALL of my
already-entered points, and ALL of the time spent in selecting the placement of the points.  
I have even had that happen, started all over, and AGAIN got too close to the window edge,
and AGAIN lost all the points entered, and time spent entering them....  
It was extremely frustrating.

It just seemed to me to be un-intuitive, that a user would be using one tool, and suddenly to
be switched to another tool without his intending to select it.

So I either entered a new bug about this, or added my 2 cents to someone elses bug report -
I forget which...

I believe you wished the behaviour to be configurable.
This sounds reasonable, until you realize that the moment that one realizes that one needs to
configure it the other way, is the moment that one has just lost dozens of points and much time
in their placing. Too late.
("You say there's a door on my barn?  Gee, maybe if it had been closed,
then my horse would not have been stolen!")
The average user would not even know that there could have been a different configuration,
or that what he happened to be doing was potentially "dangerous" and that that situation was covered,
somewhere, in GIMP's rather large set of preferences...

Few things in GIMP are not fixable with Edit->Undo, but the switching of tools in the middle of placing
boundary points in Free Select is one of them...

_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: 2.8.22 is wacky

Carol Spears-2
On Sun, May 28, 2017 at 10:52 PM, Scott Jacobs via gimp-user-list <
[hidden email]> wrote:

>>It used to be that when a guide is grabbed from the rulers, the tool
>>would change from whatever to the move tool.
>
>>That no longer happens.  I filed this bug report:
>>https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=765023
>
>>I miss the old behavior very much.  I am undoing many unintentional
>>paint strokes now.
>
>>I console myself thinking that the developers have been pestered to
>>this unreasonable end by some nefarious and wrong thinking people.
>
> I am sorry for being one of those "many" (as stated by  Michael Natterer
     [GIMP developer]
> from above-referenced Bug-report ) users who complained about the feature
you liked.
>
> I would like to explain why I, personally, was desirous of having the
behaviour change.
>
> Many times, I would be using the Free Select tool to select an odd shaped
region, part of
> which was near the edge of the image (or at least the edge of the window,
if zoomed in).
> So often, I would be in the middle of entering many, many points to bound
the selection,
> and having spent much time doing so, would accidentally place a point too
close to
> the edge of the window, and instead of placing another point in the Free
Select tool,
> I was suddenly dragging a guide out from the ruler, and had just lost ALL
of my
> already-entered points, and ALL of the time spent in selecting the
placement of the points.
> I have even had that happen, started all over, and AGAIN got too close to
the window edge,
> and AGAIN lost all the points entered, and time spent entering them....
> It was extremely frustrating.
>
> It just seemed to me to be un-intuitive, that a user would be using one
tool, and suddenly to
> be switched to another tool without his intending to select it.
>
The "intuitive" side of this is that when you purposely grab a guide from
the ruler, the move tool
is automatically engaged for refining the guide's position.

I am unsure if this was something that gimp-1.0.2 did, but certainly
gimp-1.2 had this enabled.
And all gimp versions since for +15 years.

Perhaps as gimp's nefarious and wrong-thinking users (the numbers which are
many) are
also aging and cannot keep the mouse pointer on the canvas, this and other
features will just
need to go away. :)

carol
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: 2.8.22 is wacky

Steve Kinney


On 05/29/2017 10:32 AM, Carol Spears wrote:

[ ... ]

>> It just seemed to me to be un-intuitive, that a user would be using one
> tool, and suddenly to
>> be switched to another tool without his intending to select it.
>>
> The "intuitive" side of this is that when you purposely grab a guide from
> the ruler, the move tool
> is automatically engaged for refining the guide's position.

It seems to me that people often call what they are used to doing from
long habit "intuitive."  For instance, when a long time user of one
photo editor tries out another one, nothing is "intuitive" and
everything about the unfamiliar one just seems wrong.

> I am unsure if this was something that gimp-1.0.2 did, but certainly
> gimp-1.2 had this enabled.
> And all gimp versions since for +15 years.

Not sure if it's a bug, a feature, or an oversight taken for granted as
"normal" by users and developers just because that's the way it always
worked and they're used to it.

> Perhaps as gimp's nefarious and wrong-thinking users (the numbers which are
> many) are
> also aging and cannot keep the mouse pointer on the canvas, this and other
> features will just
> need to go away. :)

When using Inkscape, I take it for granted that guides "just work" and
placing one doesn't turn off the tool I wanted to "guide" with a guide.
I don't mind that at all, in fact I rather like it now that I have been
prompted to ask myself whether or not.  If asked, I would say "Don't be
switching on the Move tool whenever someone adds a guide, that's silly."

In Inkscape, guides turn red (after a momentary delay) when the cursor
is placed more or less exactly over them - unless the cursor is dragging
a selected object or node, drawing a line, or etc. at the time.  When
red, the guide can be removed by pressing the Delete key, or clicked and
dragged to a new position (or off the canvas).  I like that behavior.  I
have also found Inkscape's diagonal guides (45 degrees) very handy; they
are created by clicking the ruler and dragging diagonally.

I am usually very skeptical of UI changes in the GIMP, but more
Inkscape-like behavior for guides would be a Good Thing IMO.  This is
not a huge issue for me - I have taken the "old" behavior for granted
for nearly 20 years.  It's "intuitive" because it's familiar - along
with all the other annoyances inherent in editing photos and such.

:o)



_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Loading...