16 bit in Gimp

Ronald Arvidsson
Hi,

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I have the need to do it.
Are there any plans to make Gimp 16 bit compatible so that 16 bit images
(e.g. photos) are not transformed to 8 bit. I know there have been plans
but have not seen anything. What would be necessary in terms of
programming to do it? As I see it this is one of the most important
issues to  address in order to compete with e.g. P.S. since 16 bit
images are now becoming more and more usual and quite improtant to some
of us who work with larger dynamic range pictures.

Cheers,

Ronald

Re: 16 bit in Gimp

Olivier Ripoll
Ronald Arvidsson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry if this has been discussed before but I have the need to do it.
> Are there any plans to make Gimp 16 bit compatible so that 16 bit images
> (e.g. photos) are not transformed to 8 bit. I know there have been plans
> but have not seen anything. What would be necessary in terms of
> programming to do it? As I see it this is one of the most important
> issues to  address in order to compete with e.g. P.S. since 16 bit
> images are now becoming more and more usual and quite improtant to some
> of us who work with larger dynamic range pictures.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ronald
Hi,

There are plans in the long term. The answer would be: If you need this
in the future, feel free to join the developers whose task is to
introduce GEGL into gimp (google for GEGL to have some more information).

In the short term, depending on your OS, you may have to use PSP/PS
(windows) or cinepaint (linux and similar OSes). Of course, you are
still welcome to help the developers ;)

Sincerely,

Olivier