10-bit display color depth support (30-bit, deep color)

10-bit display color depth support (30-bit, deep color)

Users mailing list
I would like to use 10-bit per channel display color depth in GIMP but it does not seem to be enabled by default. Is it possible to enable this in GIMP and if it is not currently implemented is there any plan to do in the future? Thank you.

Re: 10-bit display color depth support (30-bit, deep color)

Liam R E Quin
On Fri, 2020-11-13 at 16:23 +0000, LKH via gimp-user-list wrote:
> I would like to use 10-bit per channel display color depth in GIMP
> but it does not seem to be enabled by default. Is it possible to
> enable this in GIMP and if it is not currently implemented is there
> any plan to do in the future? Thank you.

On Linux, make sure you start the X server in high depth mode;
xdpyinfo | grep depths, will tell you if you succeeded.

It will work better in gimp 2.99 than in gimp 2.10.

If you are not using Linux i don't know, sorry.

liam (slave ankh)

Click here to have the slave rewarded with more chores.

Re: 10-bit display color depth support (30-bit, deep color)

Users mailing list
Yes I have tried GIMP 2.99 on Linux with 30-bit depth enabled as verified with xdpyinfo and xwininfo. It does not display in 30-bit as far as I can tell. In fact I have not been able to identify any Linux software that will display an image in 30-bit. GIMP also does not display in 30-bit on macOS and Windows, but some other software does.

Conceptually this is definitely not something that would just work without the developers going to some lengths to implement it, completely regardless of internal representation of the image. It doesn't matter that internally the image might be 16 or 32 bits per channel, displaying it in deep color is another matter.

On Sat, 2020-11-14 at 10:35 +0000, LKH via gimp-user-list wrote:
> Yes I have tried GIMP 2.99 on Linux with 30-bit depth enabled as
> verified with xdpyinfo and xwininfo. It does not display in 30-bit as
> far as I can tell.

Make sure that you have a monitor that can handle 10-bit colour.

GIMP did use 30-bit visuals when i tried it in X; you must of course
have an image with bit depth 16 per channel or higher to experience it
:) The main problem i had was that gtk2 thoguht it was 24-bit colour
plus -bit alpha, so while the gimp image window was fine, the dialogue
boxes were partly transparent. It's a while since i tried (the monitor
here is only 8-bit) but gimp 2.99 is a better bet than gimp 2.10 for
this.

> Conceptually this is definitely not something that would just work
> without the developers going to some lengths to implement it,

Right.

How did you determine it wasn't working? With xdpyinfo? what did it
report?

See e.g.
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/3859

Click here to have the slave beaten.

Re: 10-bit display color depth support (30-bit, deep color)

Users mailing list
Yes I have a 10-bit display and 16-bit test image that successfully work with other software on Windows and macOS. I was unable to find any Linux software that could display the image correctly so I'm not positive X11 is working correctly other than it reporting being in 30-bit in Xorg.0.log, xdpyinfo and xwininfo.

I could tell it wasn't working because there was banding in the 16-bit test image I used which isn't there when it displays correctly in other software. One user in the thread you linked reported the same thing about a PSD test image. I am trying with a TIF file from EIZO.

On Sat, 2020-11-14 at 19:44 +0000, LKH wrote:

> I could tell it wasn't working because there was banding in the 16-
> bit test image I used

I'd suggest making a 32-bit floating-point linear image in gimp and
drawing a gradient the width of the screen.

There's 16-bit png support; i have not tried TIFF or PSD.

Liam

Full-time slave in voluntary servitude

Re: 10-bit display color depth support (30-bit, deep color)

Users mailing list
I am still experiencing banding with a gradient made from scratch in GIMP 2.99 in 32-bit floating point mode on X11 when xdpyinfo and xwininfo say the window is 30-bit. If dithering is off the banding is obvious. I believe 16-bit support for TIFF is in GIMP anyway because it says it is in 16-bit mode after loading it.

I have tested Adobe Photoshop CC on both Windows and macOS and the monitor does successfully display in 30 bit. No amount of zooming in on the test gradient produces banding in those cases.